Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Crankcase seals orientation

Started by Greaser Greg, November 18, 2020, 03:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greaser Greg

There is conflicting info found when searching this topic so I'd like to have clarification on the correct placement of seals.  Some members say always have the spring facing out, others say marks out.
The primary gear shaft seal is easy since it has the nubs that go against the bearing, but the aftermarket left/ignition side seal has a spring on each side and marks only on one side.
The driven shaft for the sprocket has spring and marks on opposite sides.  The factory manual shows a picture with the flat side out,  which would be marks out, spring in.  This makes sense to me since there is no vacuum in trans and fluid trying to get out will push the lip (with spring around it) against the spacer ring, but why doesn't the oil leak past the bearing along the splines?
The kick shaft seal also has marks and spring on opposite sides.  Does that one go spring in, marks out?  That's how I've done it before with no leaks.
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

m in sc

lh crank has the 'nub' pointing out. the inner side is 'flatter'. they are usually marked 'outside' on them. notoriously put in backwards.

here ya go:

rodneya

Sprocket and kick starter I put in with the flat side out.
In theory the spacer behind the sprocket seals against the inner bearing face when the sprocket is tightened, but it almost always leaks for me. I put a bit of yamabond on the back of the spacer where it sits against the bearing

Greaser Greg

Thanks guys!
John at Economy confirmed that it's also marks out for the aftermarket ignition side seals from him.

Anybody ever get an aftermarket primary side seal that is undersize?  Makes the cases look like a $2.oo whore on Pier 7 at liberty call after the fleet ties up after WESPAC.  :eek: Stock seal measures 61.9xx if I remember right, and the seal in question is about 2mm less!  Do they shrink that much from laying around a while?  I compared one OEM and one aftermarket and definitely not the same size.

rodneya

I dont know about shrinking, the seal has a metal inside to maintain the shape.
I have seen old seals, mainly wheel bearing seals where the lip portion on the inside is worn away completely, but that is not the same as the problem you have.
What brand seals are you using?

SoCal250

2mm is too much difference to be shrinkage. The seal should have markings on it with seal dimensions.
The stock seal is 35-62-6 if you're talking about the one under the sprocket
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Greaser Greg

Both seals are ARS and say 62 etc all matching marks.  The smaller one is actually only a half mm smaller, not two.  That seems like a reasonable amount for shrinkage, no?  The smaller one has no ridge and the 62mm has the ridge, which I ground off for R5 appliation.
They are both for right side primary gear side.  No idea how old they are as they came with an unfinished project.  I'm going to use the one that fits, obviously.  Just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed shrinkage of unused seals. :cheerleader:  Inquiring minds want to know. :whistle: :blah: :blah: :blah: