Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

New rear brake disk setupfor my 350

Started by rodneya, November 24, 2020, 11:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodneya

Finally started working on fitting the euro read spoked disk hub. Got the rim mounted and fabricated an adapter to fit a disk from a R3.
Now to figure out the caliper mount and stay and make some spacers for the rear axle.
Going to mount the caliper underneath so that the stay is out of the way of the rear shocks.

Dvsrd

85RZwade

Gorgeous. Do you know how you'll anchor the caliper? And what master cylinder will you use?
I post waayyy too much

rodneya

Quote from: 85RZwade on November 25, 2020, 12:25:04 AM
Gorgeous. Do you know how you'll anchor the caliper? And what master cylinder will you use?

Im going to hang the caliper underneath and add a stay up to near the underside of the pivot. That way it will still work if I decide to splurge on a Motolana arm when they are back in stock.
I have the master cyl that came with the caliper from a Ducati Monster, and I also have one from a GSXR that will be a direct fit to me rear sets.

85RZwade

Pretty slick. I also have two rear masters to consider, and I realized that I wasn't thinking about piston size as part of my selection process. Is there a reference such as the Vintage Brake chart for rear brakes? We talk about fronts a lot, but the physics involved seem to make the rear almost an afterthought. As a street rider, I do use the rear brake fairly often.
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

Dvsrd

Quote from: 85RZwade on November 25, 2020, 08:44:26 AM
Pretty slick. I also have two rear masters to consider, and I realized that I wasn't thinking about piston size as part of my selection process. Is there a reference such as the Vintage Brake chart for rear brakes? We talk about fronts a lot, but the physics involved seem to make the rear almost an afterthought. As a street rider, I do use the rear brake fairly often.
My take is this: Modern-ish rear brakes, like 90-s Brembo kit from Ducatis usually are pretty spot on. So sticking with the MC size that came with the caliper, and making a pedal with the same leverage ratios should ensure a good result. Hell, my 95 Monster has s great rear brake, using a small 220 mm disc. And a Monster is still a lot heavier than any RD, even when it is under 400 Lbs.

85RZwade

I'm looking at using a YZ80 caliper with either a TZ250 or RZ350 master. Welcome to the realm of the experimental...
I post waayyy too much

rodneya

Well, its easier to experiment on the back.