News:

Deals Gap Shenanigans

Deals Gap 2-stroke meet 2024 : May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Looking for a bike appraisal.

Started by oxford, November 25, 2020, 09:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oxford

I do not need to sell this but some things in life came up(have changed since I started it) where I may put this bike up for sale to see what happens.  We all have seen the Craigslist or eBay ad with the ridiculous price where we all say the guy is crazy and I don't want to be that guy.  So I am looking for an honest appraisal/asking price for it. 

No corners were cut and it isn't 100% riddler award quality but it is very nice, probably nicer than most bikes listed out there.  List of highlights.

Engine fully rebuilt.  Crank done, stage one porting, heads cut, cases vapor blasted, upgraded clutch, pwk28 carbs, vape ignition, JL pipes.

Tx500 dual disc front end.  Aftermarket aluminum calipers and pistons, Nissin radial master cylinder, SS braided lines, new fork tubes, race tech springs, progressive shocks, excell rims and SS spokes.

Factory Tz350 tank, airtech fender and mead speed seat/tail, speedhut GPS speedo/tach.

Only real Con is bodywork is in primer/gel coat. 

RDFL

Better for sale is primer, buyer can do what he or she wants.

Czakky

Location will dictate price a bit, also how long are willing to have it for sale. If your vision is what the next owners vision is it could go for a good price. I'm sure 5k would be reasonable around my area. I know you've got way more into it than that.
It's got a lot going for it that's for sure!

suey1958

Very Nicely done for sure,...Great Job   :clap:

85RZwade

I understand a guy sometimes has to do what he's gotta do, but that right there is a perfect example of a motorcycle that you'll wish you hadn't sold  :twocents:
I post waayyy too much

Czakky

SoCal250

That is one helluva nice bike! :clap: I agree with the others, a sale would be a future regret.
I'm sure $5K would be an easy and quick sale, although here in So Cal I would think $6K~$6.5K would be a reasonable asking price.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

oxford

Quote from: Czakky on November 26, 2020, 10:21:18 AM
Location will dictate price a bit, also how long are willing to have it for sale. If your vision is what the next owners vision is it could go for a good price. I'm sure 5k would be reasonable around my area. I know you've got way more into it than that.
It's got a lot going for it that's for sure!

I don't have an exact total but yes there is way more than 5k in it and that is with a $150 initial purchase price of the bike.  Anyone on here knows what the cost of these things are. There is probably close to that much in the complete motor and pipes.  And your correct, that vision isn't for everyone but a TZ type rep is a little more desirable to the masses than some other style of "cafe racer" but then again, maybe not.  At 5k I would probably just keep it, like I said I am in no "need" to sell it but some extra money in the bank can help with future adventures.

Quote from: 85RZwade on November 26, 2020, 12:12:47 PM
I understand a guy sometimes has to do what he's gotta do, but that right there is a perfect example of a motorcycle that you'll wish you hadn't sold  :twocents:

I may regret it, I may not.  Sometimes the journey is better than the destination for me.  I had some good and bad times putting this together, some parts of it kept me well in my comfort zone and others took me completely out of it. 

Honestly, I haven't had a true street bike in many years, my last street bike was a 2003 zx6r I bought new and probably sold around 2005. I kind of lost the flame I had for it when I was younger.  The last 2 wheelers I had were plated enduro bikes.  Those enduros pretty much ruined the fun of riding on the tarmac, something about being in the woods buzzing around is something that can't be matched on the street for me now.

m in sc

its very rare mods will actually increase the price one will pay unless bike is 100% done and painted and shiny. Just a fact. You -might- get somebody willing to buy at 5-6 but that's a very narrow window of buyers, especially these days. 

Im not saying its not worth it, per say, but somebody handing cash over is a different story.

My suggestion is, get it painted in a classic tz scheme and aim for 7500 and have videos of it running and being ridden. . people like shiny things, its that simple.  :swoon:.

Until then, its always going to be viewed as an unfinished project to potential buyers.  :twocents:

oxford

^^^^^^ I agree with the paint.  It's on the list to do this winter, and yes it is going to be classic TZ paint scheme.  I just ran out of time this summer/fall to do it before I took it out.

Yamaha 179

That's a beautiful and very competent motorcycle, but IMHO it is a niche bike.  It's place is on the race track or parked at the curb at a coffee shop or bar.  It sure ain't no street bike.  Boy, would it be fun on the track, and a front runner too.
Lyn Garland
PS:  $6K is cheap.