Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Fresh start, fresh problems

Started by Striker1423, March 20, 2019, 12:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

Checked it again today as it started running rough later on in the night. Sure enough, timing was at 1.7 on the left cylinder and I have not checked the right yet. So, I hit the bolt with my small dewalt impact for a few semi-controlled taps. Bolt threaded on another turn or so. Hopefully the rotor won't move again. Left cylinder back at 1.8, and right will be tomorrow! My 4th of July trip up the coast of Lake Huron is coming up rapidly! lol.

Striker1423

Quote from: Striker1423 on July 01, 2019, 10:56:17 PM
Checked it again today as it started running rough later on in the night. Sure enough, timing was at 1.7 on the left cylinder and I have not checked the right yet. So, I hit the bolt with my small dewalt impact for a few semi-controlled taps. Bolt threaded on another turn or so. Hopefully the rotor won't move again. Left cylinder back at 1.8, and right will be tomorrow! My 4th of July trip up the coast of Lake Huron is coming up rapidly! lol.

Happy Fourth of July everyone!  :patriot:

She made it! Just a shade over 220 miles. I now know why people don't usually ride little bikes for that distance and unless my hands were just sick of it she started vibrating pretty hardcore by the time I got home. I have a feeling the timing moved again or I'm just unlucky. But, the bike was running fairly well and started hating me around 30 miles from home.  Used a half tank of oil and piston slapped her way on her own power.

On another note, I picked up a timing light from Harbor Freight yesterday and out of curiosity I figured I'd try timing the bike using the timing mark position at 1.8mm btdc I verified on the flywheel (*was just before the v notch on the flywheel). I had set the timing to 1.8 using the dial indicator, and wanted to verify where it was firing with the light. I started the bike and put the light on it and the mark was way to the left of the magneto housing, I mean it was way off the notch to the left by about 6 degrees if you looked at it with a protractor. So I moved the left pickup until the mark lined up and it was pinging away in the cylinder. I could hear the spark knock.

So, confused I re-timed it to 1.8 btdc with the dial indicator and ran it today. Seems strange, but why would the mark and the light be that far off? Could this Vito's. crank just be a bit off compared to a Japanese one?

All in all the bike performed and got me home. I'm both happy and nerve-wracked today.  :busey:

Striker1423

Going to check the timing again this week, a lot of stuff is changing in my life recently (possible career adjustment coming up) and hopefully for the better. Gonna take the bike on Saturday to a show at a local dealer. Wish me luck, but also please encourage me to not sit on any new motorcycles otherwise bad things might happen lol.  :celebrate:

Czakky

The new motorcycles will soon seem appliance like after the honeymoon. Atleast to an immature Luddite like myself.

oldguyRD1964

I had some weird timing issues on my RD and ended up buying Ed's Dyna kit replaces the points once you set it it will never vary... Now Ed hates me and I think he's the biggest jerk RD guy on the planet but his kit works... I actually had a dream about the jerk last night... Tell him I recommended the kit. Best Dave

Seizer

Quote from: Striker1423 on July 10, 2019, 07:50:46 PM
Going to check the timing again this week, a lot of stuff is changing in my life recently (possible career adjustment coming up) and hopefully for the better. Gonna take the bike on Saturday to a show at a local dealer. Wish me luck, but also please encourage me to not sit on any new motorcycles otherwise bad things might happen lol.  :celebrate:
New bikes are fun. I picked up a new Aprilia Tuono Factory a couple of months ago and it's an amazing machine. A guy can't eat chicken his whole life, right? Sometimes you need a steak.

Striker1423

Alright I've pulled the carbs back off and am setting the float height down 1mm. (Basically making it a 90 degree angle to the carb body), hopefully that helps prevent over flow when it's on a hill. I'm also debating on what to do with the pilot jet. 35 just seems huge for this setup. Most people run 27 5 or 30 in the 350 with this mod, so I suppose I can try again, but would like an opinion on the pilot jet.

Carbs are being cleaned again just cause that's how I roll lol. Want to get this right. 200 mains are perfect.

Jspooner

Run the 35 pilots, even if they are a little too big it wont really matter.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Striker1423

Reset the carburetor float height, and carb sync. Runs much better than it ever has. Looks like it was carbs after all. No fluctuations in idle either!