Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

another 'what exhaust is this' thread

Started by m in sc, December 19, 2020, 08:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

I have had these for about 10 years. Not 100% sure what they are but they fit an air cooled. good suggestion that was made was FPP but the cans are def off, and the mounting isn't right for a typical FPP, even the reverse can models, late.  the 'dents' in the bellies were designed in for sure.

pretty sure the spigots are not original.  not sure about the cans either.

can anybody id?

85RZwade

The production quality looks like an OEM effort; thoughtfully designed and well built, but not obsessively perfect welds. I don't recognize them, but I surely do like them. No help, I know, just  :cheerleader:
I post waayyy too much

jradnich

I messaged Ross Liberty. He's not sure who made them, but he said not Factory Pipe.

m in sc

pdxjim

Def Pipelynes with cans added.

*Edit*

Yup.  100% Dean Maros Pipelyne Pipes (made in San Jose, CA.) with aluminum "cans" riveted on.

Quote from: MRDRcycle on November 02, 2019, 10:49:26 PM
Pipeline Expansion Chambers: Very easy to install, excellent fit, removable baffles, light weight and LOUD.

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

that's what i had originally  thought.  excellent, thanks

teazer

They do look like early Toomey stamped pipes.

I have seen Pipelyne pipes that were fully welded and not stamped, but the muffler on those pipes does look like an FPP sleeve over the original steel can and not like a Toomey can.

Can anyone confirm for sure that Pipelyne stamped pipes?  Did they use Toomey dies by any chance?

m in sc

the centerstand dimples seem to be unique.

the can covers are def NOT fpp cans. this im 100% sure of. Ive had lots of fpp pipe silencers, these are assuredly different.

rodneya

The FPP aluminum silencers I have are paper thin and really flimsy. Those look a lot more beefy.

m in sc

they def are. for sure, not fpp cans 100%

pdxjim

Quote from: teazer on December 22, 2020, 01:10:26 PM
Can anyone confirm for sure that Pipelyne stamped pipes?  Did they use Toomey dies by any chance?

I had a set of Pipelynes (with sticker intact) on my first RD350B, and can confirm, without a doubt, that these are the same ... except for the riveted on cans.

Same hangers, same spring loops, same centerstand dents.

... and yes, as can be seen in this archived pipelyne.com webpage, they include stamping as one of the services they offer.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040326053139/http://www.pipelyne.com/
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

i could no doubt 'restore' them and make new steel ends, but i kinda dig the aluminum ones.

Looking at them, they look like the rollers we used to use in the old OCE print machine, primarily doing mylar, just cut down.

pdxjim

I grew up right outside of San Jose, CA. 

A few years ago, I was down visiting family, and met an old friend for drinks.  He brought his brother-in-law along.  We got talking bikes, and two strokes, and it turns out he worked for Dean Maros at Pipelyne in the early 80's stamping out expension chambers.

I can easily get ahold of him if anyone wants to know more about the company and the process.

85RZwade

I, for one, would love to hear anything and everything your man would be willing to share. I love watching How It's Made...maybe a new "Guest Speaker" category or something. Industry insiders, tuners, fabricators, racers could answer some questions or just freestyle! I'm getting carried away here, aren't I?
I post waayyy too much