News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

headlight upgrade for daytona

Started by motulman, January 17, 2021, 09:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motulman

not to beat a dead horse but is there an upgrade avail? i just installed a vape system and would love a much brighter headlight in my daytona

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

motulman

hey russ, thanks for the reply. i had hoped you could just buy a new bulb and put it in with perhaps and adapter plug but i guess not.  take care buddy miss ya

Barrie

New type bulbs e.g. LED or HID have a different focal length ,so you cannot "Plug and play", you need a different reflector.
Over here in the U.K. if this setup is found on a vehicle's annual test  it is a "Fail"
I can't fix stupid , but I can give it a bill !

m in sc

a lot of the h4 led replacements work really well in a halogen housing, that's what they are designed for. not in an incandescent reflector though, that always sucks.  :twocents:

AAAltered

I bought the Emgo last year from John and an Ebay Chinese bulb.  The whole thing was less than $75 usd.  Installation is simple.  Housing fits pretty good in my non-stock ears.  The only thing lost is the R5 red 'on' indicator that's built into the original housing.

It's pretty bright although I haven't had it outside, on a running bike at night yet. 

Time will tell if the chrome housing holds up and the bulb survives this service type.  My bulb has a large heat sink behind it for the electronics driver and I really don't know what kind of heat to expect from it.  Other bulbs I considered have a micro fan built in but the bulbs have a bit more depth.  Now that I've done the install I can see that there appears to be plenty of room left in there, I probably could have accommodated the fan version of these bulbs.  (Note thats with the Emgo housing, not the stock housing) At $13 usd for two bulbs I'm not too worried.

Best
Ed
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

m in sc

it will i've used them for years. run the same unit on my LC hybrid with an LED have done a few (5) years of night riding with it. 1st 2 were with H4, last 3 were LED.  The 72 R5 I just bought back also has one i fit to the bike for the PO like 10 years ago, still looks new. In my refurb of it i pulled the 55w halogen out and fit an led. way better.

Also run leds on:

both C10 concourses
cb1100
lightweight rd
14 gladius (actually dual ones)

i still run an incandescent on the t500 because of the horseshoe headlight. the reflector is incandescent and i did test an led but the beam was terrible to barries point, and I do ride at night, the 35w incandescent makes a more useable beam for sure as hard as that may be to believe.  same with the 70 R5 (for now).

TBH, there used to be halogen H4 reflectors available that would fit RD headlights, id LOVE to find a few to run the original buckets. If anyone knows where there are any.. would be super useful.  :twocents:

Striker1423

m in sc

Quote from: Striker1423 on January 18, 2021, 09:39:16 AM
Mark, yambits I think has them.

Edit:

Yup.
https://yambits.co.uk/rd350-halogen-headlight-conversion-unit-p-53133.html
thats a negative.
"This unit features a left hand dip beam pattern to suit standard UK models and may not be suitable for models from other areas.

Please note this unit only fits headlight rims that require 'W' clips, it is not suitable for models that have an adjuster system."
  us spec rds and r5s have an adjuster system. also the fresnell lens beam is towards the wrong side.  just .02.  But thanks.

m in sc

in light of this i dug around, and got a 5 3/4 h4 insert from niche. while it doesn't have the adjusters or ears, im going to see if i can retrofit them off an oem rd housing with a dead bulb.  i'll document  as i go, should be here next week? or so.

Striker1423

Quote from: m in sc on January 18, 2021, 10:22:09 AM
Quote from: Striker1423 on January 18, 2021, 09:39:16 AM
Mark, yambits I think has them.

Edit:

Yup.
https://yambits.co.uk/rd350-halogen-headlight-conversion-unit-p-53133.html
thats a negative.
"This unit features a left hand dip beam pattern to suit standard UK models and may not be suitable for models from other areas.

Please note this unit only fits headlight rims that require 'W' clips, it is not suitable for models that have an adjuster system."
  us spec rds and r5s have an adjuster system. also the fresnell lens beam is towards the wrong side.  just .02.  But thanks.

Dangit! Gotta read the fine print.

motulman

thanks for the input guys....im gonna try one of  them hvc h4 set ups  at least its gloss black like the daytona hopefully it wont be an eyesore

AAAltered

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

RustyRD

I exchanged h4 type halogen for an LED and really liked the difference. It can get tight inside the housing.

DesmoDrew

The Candlepower made unit that fit RDs was discontinued several years ago. The headlight from a 1983 to 1985 Honda shadow 700 uses an H4 bulb and is a perfect fit. The only difference is the left/right adjustment screw is not quite aligned. But that is easy to overcome. Additionally, if you get the headlight ring with the headlight, it will fit with only minor modifications to the Honda ring and mate to an RD or R5 headlight shell, and then everything lines up just right. Even the mounting screw for the headlight ring.