Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

A Proper V-Twin!

Started by svgarage, March 24, 2019, 01:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svgarage

I sold my 2001 Suzuki SV650s that was totally setup for the track- the race crouch was completely killing my back. I just wasn't quite ready to hang up my riding boots just yet, so I thought I would try out a cruiser. I found this little 2010 XL883N "Iron" for cheap and immediately started working on it. This picture only shows some of the work done- it's had SOOO much more since! The first things to go were the horrible suspension components. New Progressive springs and shocks front and rear. Nightster wire wheels replaced the heavy cast mags. New brake lines, pads and Michelin tires helped with contact and control. I converted the rear end (used to have a side license plate), then replaced the saddle and got some saddlebags for commuting. I replaced the intake, got a full 2-1 Vance & Hines exhaust, installed a "big bore" kit and upped the cc's from 883 to 1250, did a little regearing, then added a new engine management system. New mini-fairing, headlamp and mini-ape hangers, and there's probably more that I forgot about. I've had this Harley for 5 years now and have never had a sore back from riding ever! I haven't had the bike dyno'ed, but it probably has about 85hp. Plus this bike still gets 45 MPG to boot! Not too shabby!

A goal without a plan is just a wish.   ~ Antoine de Saint Exupéry

bracket maker

crickets, that's all you have been hearing. congrats on a finished project. people start them all the time but few finish with such nice results. my piston port gt185 gets 42mpg. with all that work I did to restore this turd I could have done a harley. dig it. get it. don't know if Ill ever ride anything more than 300 lbs.
HAPPY TO BE HOME, 69-13 FTW,

~JM~

I rode a stock 883 Sportster once. The most under-whelming bike experience I've ever had. I have no idea what the HP rating was, but there wasn't much. I remember wondering at the time how it might respond to ported heads & a more aggressive camshaft.

m in sc

my old boss had an ironhead (like a 69?) that was worked over pretty well. it was actually pretty decent for what it was, but thats about the best experience i've ever had riding a harley. (and ive ridden a lot more than i'd like to admit). It wasn't presumptuous, that's what i liked about it. Had a very stone age visceral 'muscle car' quality about it.
the sportsters can be had cheap for sure, and lord knows the aftermarket is stupidly good for them. good luck with it, glad you are enjoying it.   :cheerleader:

svgarage

I wasn't really all that familiar with Harleys when I bought this bike, but the price was right, so I thought I would take a chance on it. I'm vertically challenged, so the fit was good for me.  I believe the stock horsepower is around 45- definitely nothing to write home about. It definitely needed some improvement. I also added a racing clutch and lowered the gearing. Still the bike's top speed is just a little over 100 mph. But for what I use it for, it's just what I need. Not enough hp nor top speed to get me in trouble. I'm fine with that.

But perhaps what surprised me of all was how extremely dependable this bike has been over the years. I've had German cars and Japanese cars and so far, this bike has had less problems than any of them.

~JM~

svgarage

Seizer

I really enjoyed my HD. 80" Evo (S&S) in a rigid frame. It didn't stop or turn particularly well, but I didn't expect it to. Super torquey motor and ran flawlessly for the 3 years I had it. I just changed the oils and filter and it wouldn't quit.

thatguy

The Sportster is a very under rated bike. It's no sport bike but a fun daily ride that does get surprising fuel economy and require little in the way of maintenance. And can hustle down a back road at a fast enough clip to be lots of fun. Enjoy.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

svgarage

Quote from: Seizer on June 27, 2019, 02:26:21 PM
I really enjoyed my HD. 80" Evo (S&S) in a rigid frame. It didn't stop or turn particularly well, but I didn't expect it to. Super torquey motor and ran flawlessly for the 3 years I had it. I just changed the oils and filter and it wouldn't quit.

Now there's a Sportster with attitude!

Seizer

Quote from: svgarage on June 29, 2019, 02:42:14 AM
Quote from: Seizer on June 27, 2019, 02:26:21 PM

Now there's a Sportster with attitude!

Not a Sportster. It's a "Big Twin" style (motor and transmission separate and a million other differences) but thanks. It was a fun bike for sure.