Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Motorcycle Ramps

Started by retaRD, February 22, 2021, 12:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retaRD

I'm looking to buy a motorcycle ramp.  I'd been using a tilting 3 rail trailer for years with my car, but I just got a 3rd Gen Tacoma and need a good ramp to load bikes with. 

The reason I'm asking for opinions here is a lot of us have RD's with chambers, and the last thing I wanna do is use my JL's like a skid plate.  The curved ramps look to mitigate that, but what are y'all using?

I'm also gonna be loading a stupid Harley chopper, so weight capacity is kind of a concern. 

Thanks in advance.

Djg8493

I use Ready Ramp and cannot say enough good things about it.  I have had it for over 15 years and used it on multiple trucks including working for a bike shop for a few years and picking up bikes on a regular basis. 
I currently have a F150 that has a decent lift and the FPP chambers on my RD clears with no problem.  (I do always try to park on a downhill when loading if possible)

Its nice that it folds and also serves as a bed extender with straps that snap right into your tailgate latches.

https://readyramp.com/features/
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

AAAltered

Using the 6' harbor freight steel ramps I absolutely hit my chambers loading into a Ram 1500.  Not sure if arched ramps would be better.  I built an 18" extension with a 4*4  block and a 5/4 x 18" deck board.  I set the bottom of the steel ramps on the block,  seems to give me just enough to stop rubbing....
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

m in sc

the ready ramp is good. with anything, use the pins to secure them to the bed or a strap.

or

pull the trailer w the truck.  :twocents: i much prefer hauling on a trailer then in a truck bed. (hence why i no longer own a truck)  but thats just me.

pdxjim

I use a 6' length of PT 2x10 and one of those aluminum brackets from Harbor Freight 😎
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

retaRD

Quote from: pdxjim on February 22, 2021, 01:43:52 PM
I use a 6' length of PT 2x10 and one of those aluminum brackets from Harbor Freight [emoji41]
My chopper would end up rubber up, like a BMX bike.

Quote from: m in sc on February 22, 2021, 01:41:21 PM
the ready ramp is good. with anything, use the pins to secure them to the bed or a strap.

or

pull the trailer w the truck.  :twocents: i much prefer hauling on a trailer then in a truck bed. (hence why i no longer own a truck)  but thats just me.

You've seen my trailer.  It was tricky to back it up even with my small car, with a truck it'd be even more of a PIA.  Plus it has 10" wheels, I'm not really able to get on the highway comfortably. 

Quote from: Djg8493 on February 22, 2021, 01:16:40 PM
I use Ready Ramp and cannot say enough good things about it.  I have had it for over 15 years and used it on multiple trucks including working for a bike shop for a few years and picking up bikes on a regular basis. 
I currently have a F150 that has a decent lift and the FPP chambers on my RD clears with no problem.  (I do always try to park on a downhill when loading if possible)

Its nice that it folds and also serves as a bed extender with straps that snap right into your tailgate latches.

https://readyramp.com/features/

Never heard of them.  I dig the functionality.
But the weight limit is about 600 lbs.. I imagine it might work though.  I don't have a Goldwing, but my chopper isn't light.

m in sc

heres the other issue you have to haul the ramp in the truck.  this sometimes is more of an issue than you might think.

I cant imagine that chopper weighs more than my concours (572-580) stock. no way. 

look at atv ramps as well. nice to have a wide one that folds as well.

Id get a normal wheel sized trailer or upsize the trailer wheels you have if possible up to 14's. thats just 2" taller than it currently would be.   .02

Djg8493

Also FWIW I never realized it said 650lb capacity, feels like a CYA.  I can tell you I have loaded up full dressed Harleys and it worked just fine, I was way more concerned about the cables snapping on my tailgate as I loaded more than the ramp.
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

pdxjim

I agree about the trailer. Those 10" wheels are sketchy as hell, and I've been on the highway behind one on the TDR as the wheel bearing melted down and sprayed me with flaming bits.

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

rodneya

Using two of the curved aluminum ramps make it a lot easier with a heavier bike. you can walk up one while pushing the bike.
Dirtbikes are easy with one ramp and a milk crate to step up, but loading my RD into my Ram by myself can be kinda sketchy when I step from the ground to the tailgate.
Never scraped my chambers though.
I would think loading a harley into a pickup would be a 3 man job. There are a lot of really funny youtube clips of what can go wrong.

85RZwade

I have a 2004 Tacoma, whatever generation that is, and an aluminum folding ramp/bed extender. I have loaded and hauled a GL1200, KZ1000, my RZ with Toomeys and as many as three full-sized dirt bikes with this combination. Granted, the 'Wing and the KZ were both sketchy operations, but everyone lived to talk about it. Recommended  :thumbs:
I post waayyy too much

forexer

for anything sketchy and dangerous or big and heavy I rent a Uhaul motorcycle trailer $14 for 24hrs you can't beat it

RattlecanResto

I have a Shark Kage ramp. It folds up and hangs off the back of the tailgate when loaded. I like it a lot but not sure if they are still around

Daytona Z

I bought a set from these guys. I have a full size truck so I went with the extra length. The 10'. They are curved and have had my Harley and my RD on there. FWIW I like to take my tailgate off. I don't need to test the cable ratings on them. They are light weight aluminumhttps://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle_ramp_page/c/2110/