News:

Deals Gap Shenanigans

Deals Gap 2-stroke meet 2024 : May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Rd400 rims original

Started by rd400greenhorn, February 24, 2021, 02:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400greenhorn

Hi guys
So, do I get rims powder silver/aluminium colour or? Bare aluminium?

Organicjedi

Very personal choice. You can't really go wrong if you stick with aluminum or black. There's the brushed edge look which is nice too.

I opted to keep mine raw, but to have them vapor blasted.

Just remember with powder coating, you're going to need to remove the drive bushings out of the sprocket carrier. Another forum member forgot to do this.

rd400greenhorn

Allright so got pictures of those rims? I thought about doing that as well..

Did you clear coat the rims afterwards?

Organicjedi

I did not. I wanted them to look factory. The clear would darken the color. However, clear powder would be good of you wanted to go that route.

They are much easier to clean after the vapor blasting. I can send some pics a little later.

msr

Quote from: Organicjedi on February 24, 2021, 04:03:30 PM
I did not. I wanted them to look factory. The clear would darken the color. However, clear powder would be good of you wanted to go that route.

They are much easier to clean after the vapor blasting. I can send some pics a little later.

I'd really like to see those pictures whenever you get the chance to take and upload them.

Organicjedi

Here are some right after they were blasted.

rd400greenhorn

Stunning man! I went your route, dropped the rims of yesterday for water polish?.👍👍

What about the lower fork legs, what did you do there? Mine have been water polished and awaits further work :)