Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Bent cylinder fins

Started by soonerbillz, February 26, 2021, 04:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

Has anyone straightened bent fins successfully?
The jugs I bought have a couple that are bent up..
I am afraid of breaking them by trying to straighten them.

Striker1423

Quote from: soonerbillz on February 26, 2021, 04:44:42 PM

I read on a forum a few years ago. A guy used wood shims and gently applied heat and let them sit, then added more as he went. Supposedly worked without breaking them.

Jspooner

Quote from: soonerbillz on February 26, 2021, 04:44:42 PM

I've done it many times. Use heat otherwise you WILL break them. Keep in mind that they've already been bent once in the cold state and it is cast so it will break if you bend it cold. Gently apply heat on the bend, I use a needle nose pliers to straighten with. Don't pry. Once you get the right amount of heat in it you will feel it start to move. It is aluminum so the heat dissipates fast, you need more heat than you think but it's real easy to get too much in one spot and melt it. If you have a junk head or cylinder I'd practice on that first.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

RD7

I endorse what Jspooner has said. I use a heatgun it is slower to get to temp but there is no risk of melting the fins.

soonerbillz

Thanks all for the tips.  I will give it a go as noted.. lots of heat  :burnout:

1976RD400C

Yes, the trick is to put tension on it as you are starting to heat and when it gets to the right temperature you will feel it start to give and pull heat away. Works for bent levers too.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350