(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

DG expansion chambers and flanges leaking

Started by Pravin, February 28, 2021, 02:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pravin

Hi all ,

Been real long time ,

I am facing issues on my DG chambers joints...they don't fit snug as there is not gasket and there is always smoke and oil residue around the flanges area .

Any solution to this ? How I can fill the gap between the OD of flange and ID of bend pipe ? Any teflon gasket I can get or can I wrap the plumbing teflon tape we use to wrap on the threads of metal pipes before we join ?

Cheers ,
Pravin

pdxjim

Goop it all up with hi-temp RTV.

Clean everything first.

Then, I put a liberal amount of RTV on the exhaust gaskets and mating surfaces of the flanges/manifolds.

Also, a good amount on the joint between the manifolds and pipes.

Let it cure at least 12 hours or more before runningf the engine
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

rodneya

Mine always leaked, no matter how much high temp silicone or other sealers I smeared in there.

Get a set of manifolds with orings  from Gra2strokes or weld your flanges to the pipe.

pdxjim

Quote from: rodneya on February 28, 2021, 11:26:34 AM
Mine always leaked, no matter how much high temp silicone or other sealers I smeared in there.

Get a set of manifolds with orings  from Gra2strokes or weld your flanges to the pipe.

Yup.  Garrett's manifolds do not leak.

And don't weld your old ones on.  They will crack for sure.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

sav0r

I added an OD ring to the flange so that the pipe has both ID and OD. Then I just stuff the flange with high temp o-ring stock. It's not perfect, but the amount of leak is greatly reduced. I suppose using some RTV on them would make them pretty much leak free, I just don't like cleaning that junk up.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Pravin

Quote from: pdxjim on February 28, 2021, 03:39:47 AM
Goop it all up with hi-temp RTV.

Clean everything first.

Then, I put a liberal amount of RTV on the exhaust gaskets and mating surfaces of the flanges/manifolds.

Also, a good amount on the joint between the manifolds and pipes.

What is RTV ? Sorry am not heard of that before ...

Pravin

It's a mess to clean that oily muck .... And the smoke comes  out too as I start the bike

Cheers
Pravin 

Pravin

Quote from: sav0r on February 28, 2021, 01:29:53 PM
I added an OD ring to the flange so that the pipe has both ID and OD. Then I just stuff the flange with high temp o-ring stock. It's not perfect, but the amount of leak is greatly reduced. I suppose using some RTV on them would make them pretty much leak free, I just don't like cleaning that junk up.

Do you have pic of what exactly you did for OD ? yours are also DG ones ?they didn't come with any gaskets just pipes n flanges n spring

Cheers
Pravin 

RDFL

Quote from: Pravin on February 28, 2021, 01:43:37 PM

It's a mess to clean that oily muck .... And the smoke comes  out too as I start the bike

Cheers
Pravin
Let it completely cure (best overnight) before starting engine.

Pravin

Quote from: RDFL on February 28, 2021, 01:55:12 PM
Quote from: Pravin on February 28, 2021, 01:43:37 PM

Cheers
Pravin
Let it completely cure (best overnight) before starting engine.

Ok so basically I need to clean the flanges and bend pipes , apply this sealant on flanges OD and install the pipes and seal again for any gaps and let it dry overnight !!

JB Weld

I used the old GM V6(3.1 or 3.4 liter?) thermostat gasket to seal flanges to the cylinders, can't remember if I used sealant. Then some Permatex Ultra Black  on the exhaust joint. Haven't had it leak at all and very happy with the results.

Washerman

Make sure the pipes are up all the way on the flanges. Mine were leaking bad and after further investigating, I saw the pipes hitting the nuts for the flanges. Turn the nuts so that the flat side is towards pipes to allow them to go up all the way. Loosen the rear mounts a little if you have to this gives some slack to make it easier to get them up farther. I used sealers before it just doesn't last and gets nasty. They still leak a little but I'm ok with it.

Pravin

Thanks all for your inputs ,

I ll check the alignment and make sure they are flush on the joints .. before that I'll clean n apply RTV and make a good sealing.

Keep you posted 🤠

Cheers
Pravin

AAAltered

I've also found that you need to let the RTV set up for a day before you start the bike....
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special