News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Drive sprocket wiggles

Started by Greaser Greg, March 01, 2021, 01:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greaser Greg

Why is there a spacer behind the drive sprocket in the manual for R5's, but not in the parts diagrams? It looks like felt and appears to be there to take up some space by creating a cushiony type backing for the sprocket, but still let it be tight.
The nut torques down against the shaft at the bottom of the threads and the sprocket still wiggles slightly.  My old honda has some play there also, but more of a back and forth along the direction of travel.  What's up with that?  Seems sloppy and prone to exacerbate wear.
I asked about it here before and people said they'd never seen one, or, didn't use, don't worry, etc.  I'm wondering what happened between the manual, assembly, maintenance, and experiences related to the wiggling.  It's just around a mm or so of play.
:umm: Any body ever improvise and make a spacer out of felt or something similar?
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

m in sc

are you referring tot he motor or the rear hub? neither should have play between the bolt(s) and sprocket.

on the rear, the cush drive will have some axial play due to the drive rubbers, normal. front should have zero. I have -never- seen a 'felt type' spacer on any

DesmoDrew

This is assuming you are referring to the c/s sprocket.  When everything is in place and tightened, there should be no play.  The first things which come to mind is forgetting to add the locking tab washer, or if you have switched to a 520 chain/sprocket set-up, you will need a spacer between the sprocket and locking tab washer because the nut will bottom on the output shaft threads before it tightens against the sprocket.   :twocents:

rodneya

I have seen pics with that felt type doughnut behind the counter shaft sprocket, but I can remember where. It mentioned that it was to prevent dirt getting stuck behind the sprocket and damaging the seal.

Greaser Greg

Yeah, sorry counter shaft sprocket. 
The 520 switch makes sense.  I''m not sure what size it is, I haven't looked at the marks since I bought the bike.
The pic of the felt spacer I saw is in the factory manual.  The dirt thing makes more sense than what I was thinking.
Thanks everyone, I'll get a washer.  That was what I thought last night when  :umm:, needs a washer or something on there. :righteous:

rodneya

Yep, the nut needs to be tight against the sprocket or you can get a pretty good oil leak from the collar that rides behind the sprocket.
Does your sprocket nut have a recess at the back?

Greaser Greg

Hey! I just came  to update about that!  That nut was on the clutch, or primary gear, and the threads are pretty roasted.  While looking at the counter shaft and sprocket, that nut popped into my mind. I had another primary nut I was trying to use, hence the problem.
Chain says 525. 
Anybody have the right nut they wanna sell me before i go on ebay?

pdxjim

You need the nut with the recess in it.

Also, if you've gone to a 520 chain/sprox, you may need to add a washer between the sprocket and the lock washer and nut.

One of the thrust washers out of the clutch, or a standard M24 washer from the hardware store will take up the slack.

* at least this is true for an LC.  It's been a long time since I had an aircooled RD, but I would assume it's the same.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A