Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Rough RD400 Motor Value?

Started by bhh1989, March 02, 2021, 09:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhh1989

Searched high and low at the junk yard for an RD400 bottom end and happened across this one in a shed that was ready to fall over.  It was on the ground, didn't want to turn over at first but it broke free.  Cylinders aren't ported but heavily rusted.  Obviously a total rebuild if even possible, but I was actually after the transmission for my 350 build anyway.

They declined my offer of $100 for it all, understandable at first. But then he was telling me he could get $250 for the bottom end alone so I didn't bother negotiating from that point.  As it sits right now, I highly doubt that it's worth much more than my offer... or am I off base?  Obviously every bearing is junk and its possible the rust in the bores is beyond repair, especially if it's already bored over (no pistons could be found).  Who knows what the inside is like, however the "exposed" part of the crank once I turned it over was clean metal.

m in sc

I'D BE IN AT 150 IF I WAS LOOKING.  that things a turd that may be saveable. tell him if he wants that money he should take better care of his shit.

bhh1989

Quote from: m in sc on March 02, 2021, 10:09:48 AM
I'D BE IN AT 150 IF I WAS LOOKING.  that things a turd that may be saveable. tell him if he wants that money he should take better care of his shit.

Oh you should have seen the swamp of shit we traversed to get to this end of the yard where it was.  I leave pissed off every time I go to a yard and, after hours of digging through what is essentially garbage, being told they want eBay+ prices for it.

sav0r

$250 for the bottom end alone.

He sounds like the type of guy that doesn't have any interest in actually selling stuff, as is evident by your description of all of the stuff he hasn't sold.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

ohhhh.. ive been there done it.  last yard i had access to luckily last few owners were ok till they shut it down.

I have pics of the earthmovers literally plowing shit down.  Id walk away from that turd.

rodneya

In my opinion, if you had a choice of motors that would not be worth much, but 400 motors are not that easy to find. No matter what condition. Cleaned up a bit and sold as parts will easily get over $500.
There are not many 400 transmissions for sale either and the ones I have seen will be well over $300 with the clutch and whatever else you need to fit it in a 350.

You could pay a lot more for a motor that looks nice, but will still need a complete rebuild. (All used 2 strokes need a rebuild regardless of what the PO may tell you)

I bought a 400 motor that looked like that but less complete for $400, pulled the trans and clutch and sold the parts left over for what I paid. Essentially got a free trans for a little stripping and cleaning work.

m in sc

HE HAS A POINT. Id still go no more than 150. w/out opening the clutch cover you have no idea whats going on in there.  90% of the time its mint.  Id set the caseh down in front of him. if he says no, walk away. guarantee he will come around.

sav0r

The trans is probably beautiful inside. Both of my RD's looked like total garbage and the transmissions were perfect. In my mind, getting good cylinders is where it's at, mostly because all of mine are junk, even my good ones.

That said, it's going to be a big project to clean up a lot of those parts to be of any resale value. But if you don't mind doing the work, then go for it.

Setting the cash down seems like a good strategy.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

keep in mind.. if its been there that long and no one has grabbed it yet, you stand a good chance.

1976RD400C

Maybe you could remove the dipstick and cap and dump it to make sure it doesn't have water in there.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

85RZwade

:agree: anything the seller will let you do to get an idea of the internal condition is worth trying. I'd have the aforementioned cash in my pocket, an impact driver and a hammer next time you go.
I post waayyy too much

pidjones

Quote from: 1976RD400C on March 02, 2021, 02:57:02 PM
Maybe you could remove the dipstick and cap and dump it to make sure it doesn't have water in there.
Or just pull the transmission drain plug for an indication of both water and wear particles.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"