Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RaceTech options for forks

Started by NYSingh, March 02, 2021, 01:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYSingh

I'm sending my front forks off to Race Tech to be rebuilt, and was wondering what options are typical/recommended for a street RD400.  Also, are preload adjusters recommended? Doesn't look like Race Tech offers them. From their service request form, here are the different options (red=options I think I should select; orange=options I'm not sure about):

Comp Gold Valves [YES / NO] (what is the difference between this and 'Emulator Valves' below?)
Reb. Gold Valves [YES / NO]
Reb. Holder KYB (Must AX/SX) [YES / NO]
Emulator Valves [YES / NO]
Springs [YES / NO / If Required]
Pressure Springs [YES / NO] (what is difference between "Springs" and "Pressure Springs"?)
Seals [YES / NO / If Required]
Bushings [YES / NO / If Required]
Hole Shot Device [YES / NO]
RT G2-R Cartridge [YES / NO Length+____]
RT G2-R Cartridge caps [YES / NO]
Lower [YES / NO -____mm(@wheel)]
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

Czakky

I'm not sure if I've got anything worthwhile to add except that not knowing what it is I would take the "hole shot" option every time!

Organicjedi

If you want a very nice setup get springs and gold valve emulators along with new seals.

Preload adjusters can come from Economy Cycle.

DesmoDrew

Email Matt Wiley,  mwiley@RaceTech.com and see what he suggests.  He helps with my RD race bike, and help set up my street BMW.  He is 'the man' for vintage stuff @ RaceTech.  :twocents:

rodneya

Hole shot is for MX bikes. It locks the forks during initial race start acceleration
Comp gold valves are for modern forks that use shim stacks.
Pressure springs are smaller springs in modern dual chamber forks

NYSingh

Sweet, I'll email Matt at RaceTech. 

@Czakky - sorry that 'hole shot' isn't what you were hoping for  :dawg:
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

TNWillie

I second the Matt W accolade. He spent far more time responding to my email than I would have ever expected. I ended up buying Race Tech springs, gold emulators and the adapters. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? I'll let you know when I get everything back together and return from a ride in the twisties.

dgorms

My DS-7 has race tech emulators, springs and Hagon rears set to my weight and riding style. Very fun to ride!...............................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

soonerbillz

Quote from: dgorms on March 07, 2021, 09:00:32 PM
My DS-7 has race tech emulators, springs and Hagon rears set to my weight and riding style. Very fun to ride!...............................D

Did you have to remove the chain guard to fit those Hagon shocks? I've heard that is the case.

oxford

That's just a generic form for Racetech.  Get springs for your weight and get a set of emulators. 

Fwiw, it's really not hard to rebuild these forks yourself.

dgorms

No, The Hagons I got fit perfectly..........................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum