Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

1975 CB400f

Started by dugsgms, April 30, 2019, 07:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dugsgms

Picked up this bike a couple of months ago. Was looking for a car project and while trolling local CL ads ran across this. Wasn't looking for another bike but just couldn't pass it up. Only had 3400 miles and was told the original owner worked for Honda, rode it for a couple of years and put it away until the guy I bought it from bought it from his wife after his death. I took that story with a grain of salt but can't argue with its originality, still has original plugs, points, HT leads and chain/sprockets.

My first Honda multi, and overall very impressed with its refinement. Very smooth, light riding and loves to rev! The RD will leave it for dead in a race and the BSA is much more of a "grown ups" bike but the CB is a very agile, well put together and surprisingly modern feeling for something from the 70s. Comparing it to the RD, its very interesting how the two companies took very different approaches to the same segment, while the RD is raw, visceral and constantly urges you to ride faster, the CB is refined, comfortable and while very happy to ride fast in the mountain roads seems to always tell you you to take it easy and enjoy the ride.

Was thinking of cleaning it up a flipping it but now that I've got a few miles on it just may keep it for awhile and take some rides up and down highway 2 as its plenty comfortable to do a couple hundred miles a day.

1970 BSA Lightning
1975 Yamaha RD350
1975 Honda CB400f
2008 Yamaha WR250R

dugsgms

Couple more pics
1970 BSA Lightning
1975 Yamaha RD350
1975 Honda CB400f
2008 Yamaha WR250R

SoCal250

Wow, nice find! That bike is really clean. Congrats

Quote from: dugsgms on April 30, 2019, 07:39:00 PM
...while trolling local CL ads ran across this. Wasn't looking for another bike but just couldn't pass it up.
:dawg: I think this is a problem many of us know all too well
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Hawaii-Mike

Beautiful bike, I had one in the 70's.

paul1478

Wow, great looking bike.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

cygnus

Excellent buy. If you sell that you will regret it forever. One of the most fun bikes ever to just go ride. And that glorious headpipe to look at!

m in sc

i had one, didn't care too much for it, was 'ok'. damn pretty bike though. wasn't bad though. just painfully boring. (to me). it went to a good home.

bracket maker

the '70's had style, and fun. you meet the nicest people on a Honda.
HAPPY TO BE HOME, 69-13 FTW,

dugsgms

Thanks for the compliments guys! Just realized I double posted one of the pics, this is the one I intended to post.
1970 BSA Lightning
1975 Yamaha RD350
1975 Honda CB400f
2008 Yamaha WR250R

Old Brit

Great bike /find but as others say maybe a little uninteresting, best thing is to preserve that original zorst system by fitting something much louder and then scream the nuts off'it. Not only will it sounds great you'll find it's way way faster then too  :P

Redbird

Not mine, but it's in the family. My brothers '77 (with '75 bar and rearsets)

"...the CB is refined, comfortable and while very happy to ride fast in the mountain roads seems to always tell you to take it easy and enjoy the ride."
I agree.
"When you're Dead, you don't know that you're Dead. It's only difficult for Others.
It's the same when you're Stupid"

svgarage

Gorgeous piece of machinery! I've always loved those bikes!
A goal without a plan is just a wish.   ~ Antoine de Saint ExupĂ©ry

Hawaii-Mike

Here's a couple of pictures of my '75 CB400F circa 1979-1980.  Originally it was blue.  Then I crashed it, playing roadracer and repainted it red.

Hawaii-Mike

Seems like I am limited to one picture per post.