Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

R5 Autopsy

Started by Czakky, June 09, 2019, 09:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

If you missed the second part of my "Coil Question" thread here's a quick synopsis.
My bike was losing power I ordered the Econ Cycles OEM style coils. Second ride after about 4-5miles it died. I noticed an airgap on my clear oil injector lines. Filled the tank with 32:1 or better. After a very careful easy ride home just before my driveway it died again. A couple days later I started it again and verified the oil pump wasn't pumping.

All things seem to point to an oil seizure followed by a lean seizure, right?

One thing I neglected to mention was that my fuel tank was full of a light mixture due to replacing the oil injector lines. Say 100:1 or less.

So today I took off the cylinders and the results don't look like what I've seen from seizures. I am no expert of course. What do you guys think?

Czakky

Looks like some ugliness on the intake side and a bit of charge getting past the rings but I'm not sure what else.

AAAltered

I had a similar situ some years back with a kinked oil line.  I *smelled* the overheated barrels at a stop lite.  I found similar seize evidence when I took off the top end...   In my case, I cleaned it up and ran it till the next "big one" which came some time later with a twisted rod...
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

SUPERTUNE

Looks like the right side got some minor scuffing, but not a issue as far as a seizure. I would take off the piston, buff it with red fine scotchbrite then wash and re-install.
Re-use the clips just be very careful taking them out and then pull on it to stretch it a little and put it back in...done many racebikes for years re-using clips.

Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Czakky

So it must not have seized?
Since I need new base gaskets I think I'll just grab fresh clips anyway. Hopefully I'm back to ring-dinging next weekend.
Thanks once again Chuck!
Your inscription is still very legible in the heads!

SUPERTUNE

You might have a hard time finding those clips as they're specific to that HVC branded piston.
OEM, pro-X and wiseco/wossner (same) are ALL different than these.

C

***Added to clarify...

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

Czakky

quocle603

Your rings are still there, thats not a major seizure. Clean up and blast away  :righteous:
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

Czakky

In case anybody is looking HVC does stock wrist pin clips for there R5 pistons. :vroom:

Speaking of wrist pins. I don't remember having any trouble removing the old wrist pins. These slide a few mm but just stop in there tracks dead solid. Can't budge em...

I'm trying to re use the pistons...

Hawaii-Mike

Buy a piston pin puller.  Don't force the pin out, you might bend the connecting rod.

Czakky

You're probably right, will do.

quocle603

How does the cylinder(s) look?

If you have the top end off, you might as well put new gaskets in the thing. If you want to do a little more, then I would replace your rings and hone the cylinder while its already out.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

Czakky

Head gaskets annealed and base gaskets on the way.

SUPERTUNE

He won't need new rings... This is a TEAM SCREAM RACING built topend that doesn't have that many miles on it, so I know they're not worn out or needing honed out any bigger to sacrifice piston clearance life in the cylinders. I use special sunnen industrial grit honing stones to get long life out of my bore jobs.

If he would have had a major seizure...it would be different plan.

Piston pins can hammer back and forth in the pistons and cause the clip grooves to get peened up, so yes... a piston pin puller needs to be used when that happens. Buy a small one as these are only 16mm pin diameter.

Chuck

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

Czakky

You'd think an engine builder would be pushing for a rebuild, etc. Chuck is a class act though helping to find a cost effective way to solve this problem.
:patriot: