Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

SV650x- looks like a great machine

Started by Organicjedi, July 04, 2019, 07:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Organicjedi

Great to see the SV650 line improved the looks of the bike.

I wonder if there's a way to get the weight closer to 400lbs. Seems heavy as is. The anti-stall tech seems a little nerdy too.

I'm sure it's a blast anyway.  :vroom:

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/07/04/2019-suzuki-sv650x-review-15-fast-facts-cafe-motorcycle/

thatguy

While they have quite a following I always found them bland and appliance like. However I do like Harleys. :D
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

motodreams

Quote from: thatguy on July 05, 2019, 08:39:44 AM
While they have quite a following I always found them bland and appliance like. However I do like Harleys. :D

This statement confuses me.  Is it the fact they don't feel like they are about to explode that makes you feel that way?  If so, you are just not a fan of engineering or sense?  This is likely producing as much horsepower as twice the harley displacement as well.

m in sc

i had a 1st gen for 11 years, loved it, great bike. they should have stuck with the 1st gen frame and swingarm, fit inverted forks, but  keep on with the motor improvements. (the dual plug heads are nice) the new ones are heavy pigs by comparison, cheaped out  a LOT from the 1st design in quite a few areas.  friend of mine has a newer steel frame one, its meh at best.

me on the test ride of my old one almost 20 years ago. 1st new vehicle i ever bought.  :vroom:

thatguy

Quote from: motodreams on July 05, 2019, 09:19:41 AM
Quote from: thatguy on July 05, 2019, 08:39:44 AM

This statement confuses me.  Is it the fact they don't feel like they are about to explode that makes you feel that way?  If so, you are just not a fan of engineering or sense?  This is likely producing as much horsepower as twice the harley displacement as well.

Honestly I find the SV a boring bike. Just my thing. The Harley comment is a tongue in cheek pun. BTW my 1981 FLH has over 300K miles on it so I don't wanna hear that "about to explode" bullshit.

As far as a sporting V-Twin my 140K mile 2004 Aprilia Tuono (and it's not all about the power) is a far more fun bike to ride than the SV Suzuki. Between the 35 years as a machinist/technician,a stint as ProStock Harley crew chief,landspeed record holder and the bikes in my garage totaling well over a million miles I'd say I've earned the right to an informed opinion.

"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hawaii-Mike

The new SV looks very cool with that fairing.  I find ALL four-stroke street bikes boring.  That's why I'm selling my KZ's and only keeping the H2's, H1, KH400, RD400's and RD350's.

Djg8493

Quote from: m in sc on July 05, 2019, 10:22:30 AM
i had a 1st gen for 11 years, loved it, great bike. they should have stuck with the 1st gen frame and swingarm, fit inverted forks, but  keep on with the motor improvements. (the dual plug heads are nice) the new ones are heavy pigs by comparison, cheaped out  a LOT from the 1st design in quite a few areas.  friend of mine has a newer steel frame one, its meh at best.

me on the test ride of my old one almost 20 years ago. 1st new vehicle i ever bought.  :vroom:

Completely agree with the frame and the fork comments, I did the GSXR fork swap and really helped on the brakes, much better track bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

svgarage

I loved my SVs. I too swapped out the front suspension for GSX-R components and it was a solid performer on the track! The bike was just so easy to work on. I learned so much about tinkering on motorcycles with this bike.

A goal without a plan is just a wish.   ~ Antoine de Saint Exupéry

thatguy

Czakky

I've never owned one but I feel like the newest gen has nothing on the 05+ gen.

Seizer

There was n new edition SV on display at the Suzuki tent at WSBK last weekend. I thought Suzuki did a pretty good job on the refresh. Much, much better than the new Katana. I had several of the 1st gen Kats so maybe I'm overly nostalgic but the new one looked like crap. And displaying the new one next to an immaculate 1st gen 1000 didn't help either. 👎🏻

OnlyCrimnson

I think it looks nice, I had a first gen naked for a long time.  I loved that thing and it was awesome for where I lived in the city, plenty of torque.

1976RD400C

My 2001 with emulators, Penski shock, damper, rear sets, Yoshimura, cam swap, and matching lower fairing.

SANY0022" border="0
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

m in sc

by chance, i think another one has fallen into my lap  :bang:  :dawg: . its a steel framed one, but its too cheap to pass up. like under 500 bucks cheap, and yes it runs (was a theft recovery). Not totaled or really wrecked, rough, but saveable. I'll post when i take collection of it.