News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

how to run a honda twin without a battery with all the theory and no voodoo

Started by bracket maker, July 07, 2019, 02:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bracket maker

the manual says its single phase. it is. I say its three phase. it is. honda twins says its single phase. that whole site is wrong on this. spirit66 banned me for saying the way I deal with this bike is three phase and deleted my posts there. you can not fix this bike single phase period. skip all the theory on the first read. you can read it later. skip down and read money green first.

electircal posts are never anwered on that site on posts that are up for years. voodoo mantra is how they deal with the electrics. voodoo does not work. I do wear voodoo colors. don't see any downside from wearing black on saturday and red on tuesday. wearing green on payday can only help and is a good idea.

deep theory you don't need to know.

there is a machine called an ocillicope. it is a small tv to look ac or dc current on a screen graph. you can see voltage and shapes. dc is a flat line. ac is a sine wave. the cdi pulsar trigger is saw tooth. honda twins have three stator wires. 6 coils in series attached to 2 coils in series. where they are attached is the pink stator wire. the 2 coils is yellow. white is 6 coils. if you take a look with a scope the picture on the screen will be an ac sine wave on each of the wires. the stator coils are arranged in such a way that all of the ac sine waves line up with each other. the pink wire is 180 degrees out of phase, the scope pic is the same. this is single phase. who cares. the engineers of the day did. thats why they put each stator coil where it is. it was done on purpose. the reason is that regulators of the day ran  differently then today. it is also the reason why the yellow wire going to the high beam (also a white wire)(voodoo) is in the handle bar. wire colors don't always have a meaning.

deep theory lite recap

what does all that mean. on the little tv the picture all the ac sine waves line up single phase. the voltage coming out of each is the only difference. yellow is 2 so its the lowest, pink is 8 and the biggest and white is 6 has the middle voltage.  three stator wires single phase with different voltages. stock honda twins are designed to run on two stator outputs, the pink and white and a battery. yellow comes on with the high beams.

thats why the kohler r/r thread persists on the honda twins site even though its fucked up from post #1 for the last 7 years. the way the guy has it wired is the same as stock by skipping the yellow and running a battery. won't run without a battery this way.

money green starts here.

why am I the only person riding a honda twin with out a battey with the stock stator. it's because I know two facts written here and only found on this site with the fix.

1: honda twins barely have enough juice at idle without a battery.
2: because there is not enough voltage at idle the headlight dims. when this happens the resistance of the headlight decreases. this decrease in resistance shorts out the bike making the headlight an automatic relay. kill switch at idle.

here is the fix to problem #1. use all 3 stator outputs in a way where they are run in series to get maximum voltge at idle. this is done by running all 3 stator wires through the r/r. this will rectify and add all the voltages. 2+6+8 coils in series. this is reality and not voodoo and it is called 3 phase rectification. the fix has to be with all three phases. cn/ch250 honda uses a 3 phase r/r and is the most modern fix. its wiring is obvious even for the most electrically challanged. 

the fix to problem #2. get rid of the automatic kill switch. led's do not short out the bike at idle because the resistance does not change at lower voltages. it will flash a little when the voltage gets too low but it won't kill the bike at idle. change out all incondescents to led's and the stalling stops.

HAPPY TO BE HOME, 69-13 FTW,