Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Anyone racing AHRMA?

Started by abbott10r, August 27, 2019, 02:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abbott10r

I am thinking about finding a basket case RD 350 or 400 for some vintage racing. Anyone here racing one? do you recommend a 350 or 400?

Might as well put the feeler out there while I am at it...looking for a basket case in the finger lakes region of NY

Plasticman

I run an RD400.  Most of the RDs I've seen out there are 250s and 400s.  I haven't seen a lot of 350s because of all the TD350s out there.  RZ350's are also a rare sight.

Rob
1976 - RD400 - road racer
1977 - RD400 - project (single shock/cartridge fork/modern wheels/brakes)
1978 - RD400 - Auburn themed motorcycle
1979 - RD400 - Daytona (under restoration)

abbott10r

thanks for the reply plasticman. Have any pictures of your 400?

I found a nice project bike, RD400 that is 5.5hrs from me. He says the motor is seized and needs an ignition. but it looks to be a complete bike that just needs some major TLC. complete gut job. He is asking $800. Worth it?

bitzz

You'd be hard pressed to find a RD400 for less than $800.
I run RD400s. I prefer the Canadian 3J7 with electronic ignition.
Improved frame, longer swingarm, bigger motor, better head gasket setup, rear disk ... All stuff you would do to a competitive RD350.

abbott10r

thanks for the reply bitzz. I am a newbie when it comes to these bikes (but not motorcycles in general) so any advice & facts are much appreciated.

abbott10r

Was talking to a guy at work about vintage motorcycle racing. He also mentioned WERA or AMA racing. Anyone have experience in those organizations as well and have recommendation for which to join...if not multiple. I live in NY (which sucks for not having a local track) so I would be looking mostly in the north east region to race.