Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Powerdynamo spark issue

Started by 350smoker, August 27, 2019, 04:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

350smoker

So my power dynamo only sparks when I unplug the blue wire to the relay. Any ideas? Running stock switches and a rc car battery.

m in sc

the blue wire grounds the coil, kills spark. is the blue wire on the normally open lead on the relay, or the normally closed. it -should- be on the normally closed. that way, when the power is removed from the relay, it defauldts (to normally closed) and grounds that blue wire and kills the bike.

you may have a bad relay if its hooked up correctly.  :twocents:

350smoker

Here's how the relay is wired if that helps

Dvsrd

It is impossible to read the numbers in your photo. Did the relay come with the Powerdynamo, or from another source?
Please understand that whenthe blue wire from the coil is connected to ground, you get no spark. And when it is disconnected, you get a spark. Sort of opposite from the stock coils with points or a Dyna

Use a regular automotive 5 pin relay. Connect the blue wire to pin 30. Connect pin 86 AND 87A to ground. Connect the original 12 volts supply to the stock coils to pin 85. Then it works. 

PIN 87 IS NOT USED!

350smoker

It's a stock powerdynamo relay. I'll get better pics with numbers and what's going to which

m in sc

go to the auto parts store and buy a 5 pole relay if yours is bad.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/01/02/relay-case-whys-hows-using-relays-automotive-wiring/

#30 and #85 should go to ground  (30 is to operate the relay - power feed, 85 is 'signal' the coil receives)
#87a should go to the blue coil wire (this is the normally closed pin, this grounds with lack of power to the relay)
#86 should go to 12v switched power (this is what powers the relay when you turn the key on to unground the coil)
#87 is not used. (this is the normally open pin. do not use in this application)

or as DVSRD stated, basically the same thing. MAKE SURE when you turn the key on the relay clicks. if it doesn't, check your 12v supply to trigger the relay, and the ground.

its literally a $10 retail part off the shelf.  its in the electrical /lighting aisle. But it has to be a 5 pole.

350smoker

Wired in a new 5 pole relay same thing no spark at all

m in sc

do you have 12v to trigger the relay when the key or switch is on? is it clicking?

350smoker

I think I may the 12v to the wrong wire! Can I plug the 12v wire to connector right behind the fuse to get a known 12v wire? Sorry I'm terrible with wiring.  :umm:

Dvsrd

Use the original +12volt supply to the original coils. Which comes from the kill switch on the rh side of the handlebar.

350smoker

Thanks guys! It wasn't getting 12v now all is good on that end! Got a few more wiring issues I'll most likely be posting about later