Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Coil Wiring Confusion...

Started by AAAltered, June 14, 2020, 01:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AAAltered

Looking at my coils and wiring, want to swap out my Spec II coils for "standards" for troubleshooting purposes....

In my parts bin I found a set of genuine Yamaha And a set of new Emgos. 

I'm confused on the wiring.  Look at the pic.  On the left is the Emgo, on the right is Yamaha.  Confusion is the front tab on the Emgo has a male bullet connector.  The front tab on the Yamaha has a female bullet connector. 

On the wiring diagram, the orange is the Positive and the brown is Negative.  The bullet connectors properly align to the wiring diagram.  Do Emgo coils have the polarity reversed on their tabs????  iE front tab is actually negative?   

To make matters worse,  looking closely at my current wiring, the Spec II positive leads both go into the Brown wires in the loom, the negatives go to Orange and White.  Am I already reversed???  Does polarity even matter on coils?

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

1976RD400C

Every Yamaha type coil I've seen has the brown or red wire with the male bullet connector positive, located more towards the center of the coil. Orange or grey are the negatives going to the points with the female bullets and on the end of the coil. Not sure what is going on with the one you show on the left, that's not right. Your stock R5 wire harness has brown wires all for positives and orange going to points, negative. The Spec II coils were wired right. It does matter that the polarity is right.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

m in sc

actually, polarity really doesn't matter on an oil coil like that.  it'll work either way since the coil itself doesn't need to ground.