Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Stinger lengths

Started by rodneya, April 28, 2019, 01:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodneya

Can somebody explain how the stinger lengths work in GP pipes (both silencers on same side)
The outer pipe has a much shorter stinger than the inside pipe.
I can find a lot of info on stinger diameter and length, but not on using two different lengths together

Jspooner

I am not 100% sure but I think they compensate for that in the rest of the chamber design.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

rodneya

Its been a long time since I made my own pipe from A graham bells book, but if I remember correct the stinger diameter was based on a percentage of the inlet pipe and the length 12 times the diameter. 

Dvsrd

It could be that the stinger that appears to be shorter, just extends into the chamber. Or that the stinger diameter is oversize, and only a shorter internal flow restriction is doing anything.

teazer

Or could be that stinger length is a lot less critical than we think.   Just puttin' that out there. :eek:

pdxjim

I had always assumed the rest of the stinger was inside the belly.

Never cut any pipes open to find out tho.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Dvsrd

A cheap inspection " endoscope" with a flexible extension would be easier than cutting pipes open. And very handy for other 2 stroke stuff, like looking at color of the bottom side of piston crown. Just pull carbs/ reeds instead of entire top end.  Something like this:

https://m.banggood.com/no/3-in-1-7mm-6LED-Waterproof-Borescope-Android-USB-Type-C-Port-Borescope-Inspection-Camera-p-1152981.html?gmcCountry=NO&currency=NOK&cur_warehouse=CN&createTmp=1&ID=45763&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_union&utm_content=2zou&utm_campaign=ssc-no-all-0302&ad_id=337428064977&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvdOG6PL04QIVxKSaCh3EdwDMEAQYCCABEgKMefD_BwE