Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Look what somebody did to this poor daytona

Started by m in sc, April 29, 2024, 05:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

to quote Tommy boy:

" I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it."

irk_miller

Quote from: m in sc on April 30, 2024, 07:47:35 AMit was a 100% complete bike in decent shape. original paint, etc.

few years ago i had a bunch of daytona stuff for sale, which i got from the owner of THAT bike, so i know 1st hand, it was def not a bike that should have been cut up IMHO. I have my specials that basically started as bins of parts, I get it.   
Yeah, that does make it a bit of a shame.  I'm in my 50s now and I have come to appreciate survivors much more now than I did in my teens and twenties.  I was the teen getting bitched at by my old man for stripping down an all original mint 1961 VW Beetle to drag race it.  I hesitate to criticize anyone for doing what I have done myself.  It's like music- we all have our own tastes.  That being said, I am increasingly frustrated as my tastes have shifted and now I want something like an OG Daytona, for a price I can afford, that doesn't look drug up from the bottom of the Savannah river. 

teazer

I like it.

That Robinson 4LS brake has to have cost 3 grand plus another grand or more for the replica Ceriani forks just to get started.  That brake should be as good as any period disk and looks better than a disk, but it is really a decade too old.

Some really expensive parts plus a 100 dollar gas tank from China which seems a little out of place on a high dollar build, but maybe that's just me.  I used one on a Cb160 build and it was well made but a bit out of place I thought. 

The pictures show it as a pile of rusty parts so not sure where the complete 79 went or the pictures don't tell the story - who knows.

That seat to frame gap at the rear is not nicely finished at all, but overall, that was a lot of work by someone and the final bill comes as no surprise.

Jspooner

I like it as well, except for the front end. To me that looks out of place. Still a nice build though.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

m in sc

there were parts and the complete bike. I did get 2 sets of wheels from him, beautiful set of side covers, seat, tail section, etc.  IMHO it s a 'parts tart', doesn't visually flow and lots of 'race' parts on a stock motor. the number plate/twin headlight things needs to be thrown in a trash compactor.

the front end IS sweet,.. if it were on a 73 and back bike, for sure. I mean, taste is objective, of course. and i also have a cheap steel tank on my lightweight, but it's not a show bike and the only safe lighter option would have been aluminum.  So, i get using a 'cheap' tank, but ffs. 

kramdua

8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

RDnuTZ

labels we used to use would be Frankenbike or a "bitsa" with bits of this and bits of that glommed together in a project.
1986 TZR250R Restricted Japan Domestic market bike (Project)
1977 RD400 (Project)
1974 RD350 (2) (Projects)
1973 RD250 (Project)
2022 Beta 300 X-Trainer, Yamaha Vintage MX, YZ (18)

Evans Ward

Quote from: m in sc on May 01, 2024, 09:57:18 AMthe number plate/twin headlight things needs to be thrown in a trash compactor.

^^ this ^^
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

Yamanatic

That 250mm Fontana DTLS (repro or original) is a He!! of a brake with great feel, and is 'stoppy' ready, so not all for looks. A little more un-sprung weight than a disk but not much; they are magnesium. I dissent; I like it - not so much for the lines, but for the time and effort spent making that bike just the way HE wanted it, and make it all play together!

I ought to have many of you turning in your M/C graveyards with what I'm planning on - I'm swapping that very stock '84 NS250R I painted for a '73 RD350 instead of a cash sale (I really wanted an R5 - they're faster), but any RD with a drum rear would have sufficed. The bike will be getting this front brake, and shouldered a matching rim for the rear.

The wheel stuff is already here (Avon RR tires too), and I figure I should have it ready to ride in a month. Iconic Motorbike Auctions is running a special in May (no listing fee), so hopefully I can re-open the stall for the next project ... they have a way of finding my house.

I've always had the philosophy that if you are going for a concourse restoration, make it parts-book correct right down to the tire air, but if building a custom/art/concept bike, do it exactly the way YoU want it. Please yourself first and last - it is your bike!   

Warren
Of Course It's Gonna Make Some Noise - There's GAS Exploding In There!

m in sc

i have a hard time believing that wheel/brake is as light as an rd disc hub with a fzr or similar rotor and an aluminum caliper & hoop. It might be, im not sure.

dont get me wrong, its cool as fuck, id love to have it on my T500, but thats a drum brake bike that could use a better drum.

stresa

I am pretty sure that the Robinson 4LS brake on this tracker is a replica one. They cost around 1300 Dollar in Europe.
I agree with Mark, the brake doesn't make the bike neater and I am not sure if it help to perform also. I have such a brake lying around but not on a bike so far.
Regards Uwe
81 Jackson Special 250, 2x 74 Yamaha RD250 racer, 78 Yamaha RD400, 72 R5/RD350, 74 RD250 dirttracker street, 75 Yapol TZ250, 89 Honda RS125,
80 Hejira TM250, RD375/3, 77 Höpfner-TD3, 76 RD/TD3,
74 Yamaha TZ/RD250A, 78 Siroko TZ250, 75 Bakker TZ350B, Tomic 200

Jspooner

I agree with Warren, the guy built (or had built) what he wanted and he obviously likes it and probably doesn't give much of fuck what we think. I actually like it from the triple clamps back. IMO that front end does not belong on it. It looks out of place to me and also looks too heavy for a street tracker. It would be cool as shit on a TR replica or 73/74 TZ replica. FWIW, it wouldn't take much to make that bike look like a vintage road racer and then that front end would look right at home.  If I was going for more of an original look on my TZ replica when I built it I would have held out for a matching set of drums for it, but I decided to give it an updated look.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

m in sc

thats not really how it went down, but ok. he was told/sold how to have it done and just went along w it. Like said, i know both of them.

85RZwade

Taste is subjective, but but the fact that Joe's bike, Mark's LC and Lightweight are all way cooler than this Daytona is empirical data.
I post waayyy too much

soonerbillz

Butt fugly.
 Especially that ridiculous headlight thing.