Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Mini speedo and tach

Started by bheezy27403, November 22, 2021, 11:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bheezy27403

I'm looking for a speedo/tach for my RD. I have found some sets but the tach isn't 5:1.  I have found some separately but I want to make sure they match, (backlights and such).

m in sc

any tach or speedo for a kawaski or yamaha will work. they all run the same ratios.

mini speedos tend to be slow responding sometimes in my experience just fyi. also, i feel the tiny gauges just dont look right , but thats just me. mikesxs has lots of options though. https://www.mikesxs.net/gauges-and-instruments.html

bheezy27403

Quote from: m in sc on November 22, 2021, 11:42:19 AM
any tach or speedo for a kawaski or yamaha will work. they all run the same ratios.

mini speedos tend to be slow responding sometimes in my experience just fyi. also, i feel the tiny gauges just dont look right , but thats just me. mikesxs has lots of options though. https://www.mikesxs.net/gauges-and-instruments.html

What do you use? The problem I have with the stockers is the height. If I install clipons with a nice top yolk I feel they will just stick way out/up. I'm assuming you prolly fabbed a bracket to lower them right? I can most likely fab a bracket but my skills don't touch yours.

m in sc

i like the gauges tall/stock actually. I run stock gauges on the 2 stock bikes, but neither have clipons. On the lc hybrid, i machined a triple tree and its complicated but the gauge is still the tallest thing for the most part. then when you lower the gauge, the stem nut is just sticking up there. so one problem is then replaced with another. lol. it snowballs, fast.

another consideration is the cables on aftermarket gauges come out straight vs angled like on some bikes. Just depends. But yes, i have fabbed brackets to lower them, but then the tree looks janky, so you have to address that as well.

just depends what you want really, but just changing gauges for asthetics can be a LOT of work.

bheezy27403

Quote from: m in sc on November 22, 2021, 03:27:37 PM
i like the gauges tall/stock actually. I run stock gauges on the 2 stock bikes, but neither have clipons. On the lc hybrid, i machined a triple tree and its complicated but the gauge is still the tallest thing for the most part. then when you lower the gauge, the stem nut is just sticking up there. so one problem is then replaced with another. lol. it snowballs, fast.

another consideration is the cables on aftermarket gauges come out straight vs angled like on some bikes. Just depends. But yes, i have fabbed brackets to lower them, but then the tree looks janky, so you have to address that as well.

just depends what you want really, but just changing gauges for asthetics can be a LOT of work.

👌

Dvsrd

Daytona have some electronic, classic looking analog gauges. Google "Daytona Velona"
Decent quality, reasonable price, a bit latter than mini gauges, at around 2 1/2" diameter.
With electronic gauges, drive cable clearance is no longer an issue. Also, they are quite a bit lighter, maybe a couple of lbs saved if you include cables and drive gears.

m in sc

agreed. the daytona gauges are super nice.

bheezy27403

Thanks for the info everybody. Much appreciated.