Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Spark Plugs for new CDI kit Rd 400

Started by BF519, October 06, 2019, 03:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BF519

Ordered the Vape CDI Ignition and Charging System for the Yamaha RD250/350/400,R5, and DS7.  From Economy Cycle.  Very nice people.
Forgot to ask them.  Will I need resistor spark plugs for this kit?  Do I need a plug with a different heat rating ? Trying to get everything together while waiting for the parts to arrive.
Bike is on the stand. Working the next 4 nights. Ready to get all the old parts off.  Any advice or helpful tips before I install the kit. Really bad service here but will look more into the forum.
Thanks , Bubba

Dvsrd

On my internally stock RD350A, with Powerdynamo/ Vape CDI ignition, I use the stock NGK B8HS plugs (no resistance) I assume your 400 uses NGK B8ES or equivalent.

BF519

Yes uses the same plug as you. Thanks. Are you happy with the Vape unit?

Frank B

In the instructions it says to not use resistor plugs. The general rule with stock ignitions is to use a resistor plug OR resistor cap. The Vape comes with new plug wires and caps so just getting new B8ES or equivalent plugs will do it. I'm using Denso Iridiums and there doing great.

Just a heads up, you'll have to relieve (file down) the case, which is addressed in the instructions, but I also had to relieve the cover because it was touching the pickup coil. Not a lot but just test fit the cover before cranking down on the bolts..
I also had to use longer bolts to mount the base plate since the threads in the case where slightly stripped at the top of the holes from being over tightened in the past. Hardware store had some nice stainless ones.

Instructions from Vape site
https://www.vape.eu/data/product/65b6d875d48f471.35070075.pdf

Your going to love it, really woke up my 400.. If you ordered it from HVC and opted for the keyway, your timing will not be adjustable. A Zeeltronic  box would be required to do that. If you don't have the keyway then you'll have to set the timing during install, but you can set it where ever you like 😃

Zeeltronic from Economy
https://www.economycycle.com/shop/yamaha-rd250350400r5ds6ds7-parts/electrical-ignitions-lighting/ignition/zeeltronic-vcdi04-cdi-programmer-for-use-with-mzb-ignition-on-rdsr5ds67/

m in sc

i run watercraft resistor caps on mine, zero issues. if not, it scrambles the spa tach. they wont hurt anything. ive had mine 12 years.

BF519

Great to hear y'all are happy with it. Hopefully it will be here by the end of next week. Really nice weather is in the future and I have 10 days off. Ready to go for a ride in the Texas hill country

Thanks again , Bubba