Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Cable shortening/brake hose options

Started by JB Weld, March 16, 2020, 09:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB Weld

I don't have clip-ons, but have drag bars on my RD. They've been there about 7-8 years and don't want to change them.

What are my options for shortening the throttle cable? I am keeping the oil injection.

Clutch cable?

I clocked the banjo fitting on the brake hose, but considering a full length braided line with a custom angles end to clear the speedo.

Thanks for any suggestions!

85RZwade

Might be easiest to have custom cables made. I believe Motion Pro offers this service. Same with brake hoses, but sometimes you can find a bike or auto shop that can make them locally. Nice, new cables are a wonderful thing...
I post waayyy too much

Jspooner

Yambits offers short cables for low bars. Where I live there's an auto parts store nearby that makes custom brake lines for cars. I had them make me what I wanted for my TZ replica. I brought the bike there so we could try different fittings, etc. until they fit the way I wanted.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Dvsrd

For master cylinders with the port facing inwards (towards centet), I prefer 90 degree banjo fittings. This lets the hose run parallell to handlebar,  and turn down inside headlight ear. Neat and tidy.

SUPERTUNE

Summit is your friend for brake lines parts.

I buy a #3 female on the line ends then buy the the ends with the degree banjo you want. Russel and Earls are  the popular brands.
Don't buy the chrome banjos, just the plain ones as you can clamp in a vice with hardwood and hit them with a mallet and get a little bit of a different bend. (called endurashine) Not Stainless, as they are pricey and I haven't tried to bend them.

I make custom throttle cables but labor intensive and not cheap when done. Labor can be $75-$100, Motion pro cables materials is about $30. then if needing a splitter for oil pump (1:3) or splitter (1:2) that adds into the equation. Always consider a quick pull throttle if using bigger carbs.

I don't mess with clutch cables other than re-route them.
Chuck

https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/russell-performance/part-type/powersports-brake-lines/universal/yes?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&N=universal%3Ayes%2Bfitting-size-1%3Aminus-3-an

https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/russell-performance?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&N=part-type%3Abrake-fittings
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com