News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

RZ350 Cooling system upgrades

Started by Baldwin53, March 30, 2020, 05:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baldwin53

My 1984 RZ350 has a Koso DB-03R multimeter (tach/speedo, etc.), and a R6 radiator on it.

The cooling system was flushed, and changed from glycol and water to Engine Ice.

A R6 fan was installed on the radiator along with a thermal sensor w/switch to turn it on at about 200 degrees Fahrenheit. The sensor is too big to install inside of the radiator hoses per the instructions so, I tie-wrapped the sensor to the top of the radiator, having not figured out a better mounting method, yet. The switch is mounted under the left side of the tank, on top of an existing plastic tray, to the rear of the coil. The contacts will open to turn the fan off once the temperature drops by 15 degrees F.
I wired it directly to the battery using a 15amp inline fuse, to the thermal switch, and then to the fan so it will run with the ignition off.

A Koso iGear thermometer and engine head temp sensor was installed for added safety and, because it looks cool. (The DB-03R only has one input for monitoring temperature.)

R6 fan $32 eBay
Engine Ice $22 Cycle Gear
Derale 13001 - fan mounting kit $6.50
Derale 16769 - temp switch $35 Amazon
Koso BA067R12 - iGear Thermometer, Fahrenheit, Red $44
Koso K1001R14 - 14mm engine head temp sensor $26 Amazon
Koso BG022B01 - 22mm water temp sensor - $26 Amazon

rodneya

What has been done to the motor that you need additional cooling?
200 f might be a bit too high for the fan to kick in.

Baldwin53

The RZs run a little hot to begin with, especially with the modest modifications that have been done. And, I live in Arizona were it can be like riding into a blast furnace in the summertime. Last October, I had a bad thermostat cause a heat seizure. Having just gotten it back together, I don't want to take any chances with the new top end.

85RZwade

What did you have to do to fit the R6 radiator in there?
I post waayyy too much

Baldwin53

I carefully put the radiator in place with the fan loose, and marked the fan's bolt holes on the radiator with a sharpie. I then installed the fan on the radiator with the Derale fastening system, using extra foam spacers so that the blades do not hit the radiator. I then put everything back on the bike and carefully tightened the fasteners until it was very snug in the correct location. I used an inline waterproof connector for the 12VDC power.

rodneya

Quote from: 85RZwade on March 30, 2020, 08:33:46 PM
What did you have to do to fit the R6 radiator in there?

R6 fan, not rad

Dvsrd

Seems to be a very sensible upgrade for a hot climate!  Wish I had an RZ.......
However, I have the same KOSO tach/speedo on my touring bike, a 1997 Ducati ST2. I mainly replaced the stock instruments to free up space for a TomTom GPS, and also to be able to see it when using a large tank bag. So I fitted it as high as possible, just below the top lip of the fairing screen. It looks OK, as long as the TomTom is also fitted.
In any case, I believe you have some room for improvement in the location of your KOSO tach/speedo. It definitely is easier to read if mounted more up& forward, and the shift light is easier to notice as well. Just my  :twocents:

85RZwade

I'm just curious if an R6 radiator fits an RZ w/o modifications. The first sentence of the first post is "My 1984 RZ350 has a Koso DB-03R multimeter (tach/speedo, etc.), and a R6 radiator on it." Doesn't look like an RZ radiator in the pictures to me, but maybe it looks different with the black paint stripped off.
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

r6 radiator wont fit. just fyi.

the r6 fan is an fantastic upgrade, had that on mine, basically the same way baldwin did it. used an automotive fan controller as well, never had an issue, even with the stock radiator.

Nice work on the cooling system Baldwin.  :patriot:

Baldwin53

Thanks Mark (MinSC). I appreciate the helpful advice that you have provided for my RZ projects!

rodneya

Do you have any photos of how the fan mounting kit fits?

Baldwin53

To see how it mounts, scroll up and double click on the photo of the fan on the black and yellow foam mat. The "zip mounts" go through the fins and through the mounting bracket holes in the fan. It's very simple really. The fan just fits between the frame tubes.