Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Brake adapter for blue or gold dot caliper and big rotor on RD

Started by m in sc, March 01, 2019, 12:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

this is an adapter for a blue or gold dot caliper to be used on aircooled rd250/350/400 front forks. use at own risk. Mine is made of 6061 aluminum. you will need to run an fzr600 or like rotor, and make a **EDIT**13mm OR 1/2" spacer behind the rotor. (center of a stock rd rotor hat also works)

this is a link to the zip file which contains a .dxf of the main adapter.  https://2strokeworld.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/brakeadapter-r6-rd-v4.zip

i would recommend a MINIMUM thickness of 3/8" no bigger than 1/2" feel free to take the linework and modify to suit your cosmetic needs.

I JUST have the adapter in DXF format available. Any decent machine shop can get this cut, or water jet or laser shop.

This is MY file, do NOT copy and make as batch and sell for a profit, please.  This is strictly for personal use for projects.  If you do, and i find out, i will expose you and any personal data i have on you for the dirtbag you are.  You have been warned.

You will have to fit and finish the part yourself.

Evans Ward

For RZ350 owners, TDR (Tony Doukas Racing) sells the adapter for the nice beefy R1 components to bolt up to stock RZ fork lowers. A great upgrade and one finger braking but you have to exercise caution with this level of stopping ability.

Kudos to Mark for sharing the file to RD owners!  :clap:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

Kawtriplefreak

Plus one Evans on the TDR adapters. I have them on my RZ and the difference in braking is amazing!

JB Weld

Looks great. Any good reason to mount this rearward on opposite side of original?

I apologize for ignorance as I didn't really grow up around two strokes or race bikes. Dad had a SOHC XS400 and uncles had Harley's and Viragos...

m in sc

sav0r

Rear mounting puts the mounting in compression, which should make it stiffer, but also allow the mounting to be lighter. Also, marginally less polar moment of inertia, that's unlikely to make any real difference but it's fun to do anyways.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

350GUY

m in sc

just fyi, with dims. Had a slow afternoon so ^

and you can download the pdf or jpg of this here (will be clearer)

pdf:
https://2strokeworld.net/wp-content/uploads/general-tech/brake-caliper-adapter-rd.pdf

jpg:
https://2strokeworld.net/wp-content/uploads/general-tech/brake-caliper-adapter-rd.jpg

irk_miller

Why are you guys running a heavy, semi-floating 4 pot caliper on an RD? A stock RD is 100 to 150lbs lighter with 25% of the torque and horsepower as an R1. A 2 pot floating Nissin from an SV650 with the same rotors is borderline too much brake and they're easier to adapt. Even if you're running chambers and tuned to 50-60 hp, I don't see it. It may even be less safe.

m in sc

lighter by miles than a stock caliper, and basically the same as my TZR250 (which is 308lbs stock). (direct swap actually). I had 2 on my lc, it was a bit overkill but one is perfect. dont knock it till you try it.

This Old Daytona

Quote from: irk_miller on November 18, 2023, 09:35:47 PMWhy are you guys running a heavy, semi-floating 4 pot caliper on an RD? A stock RD is 100 to 150lbs lighter with 25% of the torque and horsepower as an R1. A 2 pot floating Nissin from an SV650 with the same rotors is borderline too much brake and they're easier to adapt. Even if you're running chambers and tuned to 50-60 hp, I don't see it. It may even be less safe.
Elaborate on your SV setup, with detail if possible.

I think I have a FZR setup, but don't know. Gonna need help identifying components.
But open to swapping out for other low buck  options

Thanks

irk_miller

Quote from: This Old Daytona on December 06, 2023, 02:34:03 AM
Quote from: irk_miller on November 18, 2023, 09:35:47 PMWhy are you guys running a heavy, semi-floating 4 pot caliper on an RD? A stock RD is 100 to 150lbs lighter with 25% of the torque and horsepower as an R1. A 2 pot floating Nissin from an SV650 with the same rotors is borderline too much brake and they're easier to adapt. Even if you're running chambers and tuned to 50-60 hp, I don't see it. It may even be less safe.
Elaborate on your SV setup, with detail if possible.

I think I have a FZR setup, but don't know. Gonna need help identifying components.
But open to swapping out for other low buck  options

Thanks
I may have mispoke and said Nissin, but they are actually Tokico.  This is a pic with Honda forks that I originally ran on my RD.  The hub is also from a 500cc and above 70s Honda, which is the same rotor pattern as XS650.  Initially, I had it set up with dual disc, but that was way too much brake and unnecessary weight (trying to keep the bike under 270 lbs), so I removed the right side brake. 

Here it is with the right side brake still on.  If you closely in the pic, it's a really simple piece of flat stock (and spacers) to make the mount for that front end.

I now have a TL1000r front end on the RD, so here is the mount for that setup: