News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Tire repair with side stand only.

Started by Ws76133, April 16, 2020, 10:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ws76133

I've ridden since 1967, and had to fix flats on the roadside on pretty much everything I've owned.  I've never had a bike without a center stand and I'm planning to fit chambers to my RD350.
Spoked rims with tubes obviously can't just be plugged and limped home, so, three questions:

1. Anyone make chambers compatible with the center stand?

2. Any practical suggestions on how to do the roadside repair without one?

3. Any chance of Slime working in a tube?

Thanks!

Dvsrd

JL (Jim Lomas) and also Fukui in Japan make chambers compatible with center stand. Some vintage setups like JR are also like that.   IMHO they all look kinda weird and awkward.
If one is a bit careful, it is possible to remove at least the rear wheel with only side stand, by using a piece of tubing of suitable length on the RH side. I believe that an adjustable "prop stick" like that was sold some years back. Sort of like a turnbuckle with a fork at one end and a foot plate on the other. Mainly designed for easier chain cleaning and lubing, I guess.

paul1478

trail jacks. Works great. I have one for my KLR I keep with the bike. I used it to change tires and change springs on the forks. would not be too easy to carry one on a RD but they are small until extended.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

pdxjim

I have never seen trail jacks before ... pretty cool!

I do a 10 day BDR camping ride every summer ... usually around 1000miles.  When we get flats, need to adjust the chain, etc, on the dirtbikes, we just find a stump or rock to use as a stand or lay the bike over on its side.  Of course I wouldn't/couldn't do this with a streetbike, especially a 2T with underslung chambers.

Now we all run bib mousses in our dirt tires so not a problem anymore.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

ive, in a pinch, used a foot peg on a cinder block and tripod'ed the bike on the sidestand. my rearset footpegs are usually solid, so they will act as sliders in case of a crash. has saved my bikes bodywork 2x.

also saved an rd400 i made rearsets for for Cody (scrambler73) way back, when Mark D that bought it from him, launched it down a runway wide open in 3rd gear.  true story.  :dawg: