News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

RD400F

Started by Snaggletooth77x, May 28, 2020, 06:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snaggletooth77x

This 79 RD400F fell into my hands in January of 2019. I received a text from a friend asking if I knew anyone that wanted an RD400 which I responded "of course, how much?" His response was "you pick it up". I had always wanted an RD and I couldn't turn down a free motorcycle so I went to pick it up the following day. The owner had fallen out of a business flipping bikes with a friend and this bike had been sitting in his shop and was about to take it to the dump. The first thing I see as I walk in is the top end in the box from SpecII and the classic pipes were still in the bubble wrap. We loaded everything in my truck and he handed over the title, I couldn't stop pinching myself on the way home! The crank had a bad bearing so I had Garret rebuild me one and I rebuilt the entire motor myself with all new seals and gaskets. I added a powerdynamo ignition and Vforce Reeds, everything else was how I got it from the previous owner. I lucked out as they had everything very well marked and labeled. I spent last winter getting it road worthy and had it rolling by mid April. I had it in the One Moto Show last February then went through the entire chassis to make it perform at its best, I put some Hagon 2810 shocks on the rear and Race Tech springs and emulators in the front. I also replaced the front rotor with a new EBC stainless floating rotor, 202 Racing rearsets and Avon AM26's to finish it off. Most of the misc parts came from the great people at Economy Cycle. All in all I'm pretty damn happy with how it turned out, there are a few minor things I need to tune and adjust but other then that its been a great machine to look at and ride.

RDFL

Great looking bike and lucky find.

SoCal250

Great looking bike! What a score you got!  :clap:

How do you like the 202 Racing rearsets? I have a set that I'm going to install soon on my Daytona.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Snaggletooth77x

Thanks guys!

I like them a lot and very well built. I have zero complaints. This bike didn't come with the stock footpegs just a set of the Moto Carrera rearsets which I did not like at all.

bostontrackrat

Damn, dude! That is f&*#'n AWESOME!  What a steal!  And you got it into the The One show?  Do you have pictures of that!?!?  :cheerleader:

Snaggletooth77x

Quote from: bostontrackrat on May 29, 2020, 08:09:41 PM
Damn, dude! That is f&*#'n AWESOME!  What a steal!  And you got it into the The One show?  Do you have pictures of that!?!?  :cheerleader:

The stars aligned on this one for sure and I still can't believe it until I look in the garage. I live near Portland and also know the host of the show so that did help but it was still pretty rad to have it there.

85RZwade

I took a picture or two of it there also:

Fine lookin motorcycle  :bacon:
I post waayyy too much

Snaggletooth77x

I finally got around to repainting the clutch cover as it got pretty beat up in the bin of motor parts from the previous owner. I was pretty impressed with how the PJ1 engine case paint turned out.

Snaggletooth77x

The RD400F made it to this years The One Motorcycle Show. For some reason it looks so much nicer in a show setting.

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Czakky

That is one of the better looking Fs I've seen!

pdxjim

Best thing is, he's not afraid to ride the wheels off of it.

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

gardenhosebusabottle

The 400F is a great bike.   I had a great time the 1st year w/ a RB Designs port job, head work and R5 carbs w/ Dave Freist r.i.p. mods.  I had the same Spec II pipes but newer (2010).  Are you on premix or injector? 

Snaggletooth77x

Quote from: gardenhosebusabottle on May 06, 2021, 11:42:25 PM
The 400F is a great bike.   I had a great time the 1st year w/ a RB Designs port job, head work and R5 carbs w/ Dave Freist r.i.p. mods.  I had the same Spec II pipes but newer (2010).  Are you on premix or injector?

Agreed it is a great time. This one was a spec II build with head work, porting and RZ pistons. I decided to take off the injection system because it was lacking a few key items when I adopted the bike.

gardenhosebusabottle

i never used the injector either.  Mostly 32:1 Amsoil interceptor.