Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Oil life

Started by Fredg411, July 07, 2020, 01:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fredg411

Stupid question. '77 RD400 using Yamalube 2S in injector tank. Just bought a string trimmer and the Stihl 2-stroke oil for it claims it has a 3 year shelf life. --NOTE: I AM NOT USING TRIMMER OIL IN MY BIKE!--  I don't put many miles on the RD and the oil may stay in the tank for a year or two. Any problems here? How about opened, but capped partial bottles of the 2S? Am I just overthinking this? Does oil have a shelf life?

Fred

m in sc

id run it, ive had oil longer than that sitting around and its just fine.  :twocents:

Striker1423

I mean oil would literally have to separate itself to become useless and that would take forever. Bulk 2s still sits in barrels at a local dealer and is fine. I know because I run it in mine. :)

Fredg411

I tend to agree, guys. Like I said, overthinking. Was just wondering if the additives break down over time, moisture absorption, etc. We've been told to change the oil in our cars after a year, regardless of mileage.  I'll be draining the tank to change the oil lines - probably use fresh oil to refill the tank anyway... Thanks for the replies.

Fred

m in sc

if in doubt, put it in a glass jar lok for milkiness/water. as long as lid was closed should be fine.

Fredg411

I just need to ride it more. :vroom:

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much