Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD400 rear wheel sanity check

Started by ElFuegoBlanco, July 07, 2020, 05:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElFuegoBlanco

I replaced the rear wheel bearings on my RD400C.

After much aggravation with incorrect diagrams, I think I have the components in correctly.

However, the dust seal on the sprocket side doesn't fit flush with the hub, like I thought it did before I pulled the bearings.

Can anyone look at these pictures and tell me if this looks right? And just to confirm, the hop hat spacer "brim" is on the inside of the bearing, against the spacer tube.

Thanks,
Rob

Organicjedi

It's hard to tell from the pics, but there is a spacer that presses into the drive side bearing. Without this, the wheel will be sloppy on the axle. It's easy to miss this and toss it when you remove the old bearings.

ElFuegoBlanco

The spacer is pressed into the bearing. It's pressed from the backside, opposite of the Haynes diagram. There is no play between the spacer and the tube.

I mounted the wheel and it appears to line up correctly.

My father in law has an identical bike. I might have to check his to make sure the dust cover look the same

Thanks

tod1d

I took a look at my rear wheel and it looks exactly like yours, with the dust shield recessed about 1/8". I'm pretty sure you've assembled yours correctly.

ElFuegoBlanco

Thanks a million
I ran over to look at another RD and thought the same thing. It's hard to tell when the chain is on