News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Main jet fine tuning trick.... WOT and back off a little?

Started by idr5c, August 13, 2020, 12:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idr5c

I'm having a brain fart regarding a tuning technique that I have used for years  :umm:, hoping someone on the board can set me straight. Not sure how I managed to forget this rule of thumb... Lyn told me about this a decade or so ago and I've used it ever since.

Once the bike will pull cleanly on the MJ (no blubbering), I will go to WOT in top gear and hold it there. As the speed levels out, I'll back off to 7/8 throttle or so and see if the engine picks up a bit.

If the engine picks up a bit, does that indicate the MJ is a little rich or lean?
Stephen Phillips
WMRRA #494
http://www.wmrra.com

Dvsrd

I'd say lean, from experience with my RD350, oem emulsionntypr needle jet setup, 30 years ago...

m in sc

could also be fuel feed issue. had same problem with my lc, had to go to 3.5mm? needle seats at wide open. only did it by the time i was wot at top of 5th gear, 6th would stall out. took forever to diagnose..

always err on the side of going richer on the main for tests like this. IF it gets worse, then you know its too fat. however, it DOES sound lean. but dont disregard how fast the bowl fills vs how fast its being used.  what size are your mains? if over 300, then, look at needle seat and verify hole size.

idr5c

Quote from: m in sc on August 13, 2020, 02:28:08 PM
could also be fuel feed issue. had same problem with my lc, had to go to 3.5mm? needle seats at wide open. only did it by the time i was wot at top of 5th gear, 6th would stall out. took forever to diagnose..

always err on the side of going richer on the main for tests like this. IF it gets worse, then you know its too fat. however, it DOES sound lean. but dont disregard how fast the bowl fills vs how fast its being used.  what size are your mains? if over 300, then, look at needle seat and verify hole size.

Not asking about issues with a particular bike, just the tuning technique in general.

Does anybody actually have experience with this tuning technique?
Stephen Phillips
WMRRA #494

m in sc

idr5c

Stephen Phillips
WMRRA #494

m in sc

Yamaha 179

It has been my experience that the needle reduces he flow of gas more than the slide reduces the air flow therefore leaning out the mixture.  Less gas but almost the same amount of air = seizure.
Lyn Garland
PS: I didn't say 7/8 throttle, I said close the throttle just a bit; just ease off a tad.

KANDY

Quote from: Yamaha 179 on August 13, 2020, 08:36:00 PM
"the needle reduces he flow of gas more than the slide reduces the air flow therefore leaning out the mixture"

wont get a better explanation than this.  :clap: :clap:
1974 RD350
1977 RD400
1979 RD400 Daytona Special

quocle603

Trust me, no shame in relearning the basics. I always have to second guess myself.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

idr5c

Quote from: Yamaha 179 on August 13, 2020, 08:36:00 PM
It has been my experience that the needle reduces he flow of gas more than the slide reduces the air flow therefore leaning out the mixture.  Less gas but almost the same amount of air = seizure.
Lyn Garland
PS: I didn't say 7/8 throttle, I said close the throttle just a bit; just ease off a tad.

Bingo, that's the info I needed. Lyn's right and I used the technique this weekend at the track. My main jet was still a little rich after working down from blubbery, and when I'd ease back on the throttle from WOT the bike would pull a little harder. Went down a size and all was well. Thanks Lyn!

Quote from: m in sc on August 13, 2020, 05:06:50 PM
i mean i did say:

however, it DOES sound lean.

Yep, you sure did.
Stephen Phillips
WMRRA #494

Czakky