Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Custom Throttle Cables - RD125

Started by sav0r, March 15, 2019, 04:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sav0r

I mounted up some knockoff Mikuni's on my wife's RD125 using DT125 reed blocks. Everything is great, the bike starts right up. The only issue is that the stock cables are too short.

I've considered using a dremel or something similar and shortening the sheath a bit, but ideally I'd come up with a slightly longer cable. Since I don't have the stuff do this myself I'm in a bit of pickle. I did some googling and asides from finding a couple tutorials I've come up with basically nothing.

Thoughts, ideas?
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

bracket maker

Quote from: sav0r on March 15, 2019, 04:02:10 PM
I mounted up some knockoff Mikuni's on my wife's RD125 using DT125 reed blocks. Everything is great, the bike starts right up. The only issue is that the stock cables are too short.

I've considered using a dremel or something similar and shortening the sheath a bit, but ideally I'd come up with a slightly longer cable. Since I don't have the stuff do this myself I'm in a bit of pickle. I did some googling and asides from finding a couple tutorials I've come up with basically nothing.

Thoughts, ideas?

used a dental drill. has the same shank as the Dremel so yea Dremel works fine.
I'll give you the tutorial.

with a blade cut off the plastic covering the sheath you want to cut. make a deep score with a cutoff wheel but don't cut all the way through. work the score with linesman's pliers. spread and remove the cut piece from the cable. coils come off like links on a chain.

you can bond different cables using a bracket and bicycle cable bolts. did this to my cb360. took a 4" bracket re bent into an elongated u. drilled holes for the cable and used bicycle brake hardware. bonded the original cb360 throttle cable to bicycle cables attached to 2 bootleg mikuni's. I tossed the return cable.

for the choke cables I used all bicycle cables without the sheaths through the frame to a gearshift lever. they laughed at me the first show I entered. now its all ooo's and ahh's with the old school choke. what did I do, I remover the shimano letters with a file. bikers at shows can really get retarded.

the 4 cables, 2 throttle and 2 choke cost 10$ at k mart. it's called 'bycicle cable tune up kit'. works perfectly. the soft lead ends can be easily shaped.

no pics because I did not take the bike out for the season yet. I will leave you with the mental image of me armed with tin snips and pliers walking through chinatown early sunday stealing bolts with holes and hardware from rusted abandoned bicycles.
HAPPY TO BE HOME, 69-13 FTW,

SoCal250

Chris,
Since you're in the US you might want to contact Motion Pro to see if they can fab up some cables for you.
https://www.motionpro.com/c/custom-cables
Also, John at Economy might have some insight on this topic as well.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing regarding cables and what you settle on for jetting. I've been gathering parts for this same conversion but just haven't gotten around to doing it, so very interested in hearing from experience.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

sav0r

Thanks, all. I'll see what I come up with.

The bike starts first kick with the jets in the carbs, given the lack of cables I've not had a chance to take it for a spin, so we will see.

GRA2STROKES

I'm getting throttle cable supplies and will be more than happy to make you a new cable

Garrett

sav0r

I'll send you a PM. I just need a little more cable length at the carb.