News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

The Millennium pipe future (aka Moto Carrera pipes)

Started by GRA2STROKES, March 15, 2019, 06:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRA2STROKES

I have been recently contacted by doug johnson owner of Moto Carrera. He offered me his pipe stampings and all on hand materials for a reasonable price. I have excepted his offer and we are currently finalizing the deal.

Dough went through surgery roughly 12 weeks ago and is still healing. He doesn't have the real energy to go about the business of building pipes and managing what's happening. He is ok though for those who are wondering and I plan to visit him in roughly a month.

Nothing will tie the pipes and Moto Carrera together anymore and I will be the sole owner of the design. With thi I will update features about the pipes that need addressed.

One of the things that always seems to be an issue is the exhaust manifold. Even buying high end jl pipes you get a crappy cheesy manifold. The design will be changed to have a thicker flange for strength and no spacers or washers and sealed by an o ring with machined tolerances for a quality fit. Also the silencer will be completely re designed. It will be able to be un bolted from the main pipe and sealed by an o ring in this connection point. From there they will welded on the bottom and the end cap bolted on for easy re packing and no more rivets.

On top of all of this I plan on doing all fabrication in house myself for quality reasons for a professional fit and quality controll.

I checked last time these were listed for sale on economycycle and it was $699 plus shipping. I have a target of $599 plus shipping per set. I will post updates after I get the raw materials that have already been made and start with the updates.

Thank you Garrett

Hawaii-Mike

Hi Garrett,

Nice to hear you will be keeping the Motocarrera pipes in production.  I hope you will also continue with the Motocarrera decals for the pipes.

I also saw your post about modifying DG Heads.  I have a set for RD400 and hope to have that mod done in the future.  That is, after I get one of my RD400's put together and running.

Kawtriplefreak

SUPERTUNE

Good to hear Garrett!
Sounds like your on the right track to updating the needed design changes...
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Alain2

We definitely need a pipe with a price point sitting between the DG and the JL. If the quality and improvements are good I think it would winner.
1973 RD350, 1977 RD400, 1979 RD400, 1980 RD400, 1985 MJ50, Goped Zenoah 30cc.

hayduke

Good to hear these will continue.

+1 if you built a side stand to work with the pipes  :clap:

Ws76133

And if there's any way to produce one for RD350s that allows retention of the centerstand, I'll definitely take one.

SUPERTUNE

Quote from: Ws76133 on March 16, 2019, 11:28:22 AM
And if there's any way to produce one for RD350s that allows retention of the centerstand, I'll definitely take one.

That usually is not possible when using dies. Stamping dies are very expensive to make on the front side, then are cheaper to mass produce to keep cost down.
Fukui is the only new ones I know of, and don't see the 350 model?

https://www.samurider.com/?cat=207

Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Organicjedi

Sounds like some great upgrades that would make them more desireable. The price point would be very atractive too.  :science:

Czakky

I think that's a great price point. The fact that they would have better flanges would be the icing on the cake.

Frank B

I'd buy a set right now if they were available !
I think I'll just look for a used set of something for now until they are available..

Joshua

I'll keep my eyes out when you get into finished production. 

quocle603

I saw your FB post on this matter. Excited to hear about the WIP.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

GRA2STROKES

Thank you. Yes I did go and get all the raw materials this past Monday. Know that I have them I'm able to get a better idea to finalize my upgrades to my manifold design and to the silencers. I'm excited to start the process.

Garrett

smokah

Your prototype spigots look great. Are you going round or oval with the silencers?