Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

72 R5, round 2.

Started by m in sc, November 28, 2020, 07:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

thanks! gunk carb (the gallon can) cleaner and 25% wd 40 in the ultrasonic. nothing works better. those carbs sat for over 5 years, they were NASTY. 

RustyRD

Cool, Thanks for the real info. I don't know how many times ya hear about what works well only to find out they have never used it. :umm: What was the soak time ?

m in sc

in the ultrasonic, 30 minutes. then a spray out with brake clean thru all the passages and jets, then respray with wd. Not quite an hour from on bike to bench, clean.  I did this one morning while having my coffee.  :haw:

RustyRD

The carbs on my VTR1000 need this attention, and will let my harbor freight ultrasonic stretch its legs.

m in sc

when i did my concours carbs,  I split the rack and it took a bit longer for obvious reasons.  this was on reassembly. this also sat outside for almost 5 years with the fuel on, then dried out.

this is literally how i bought it. note the tank had sat so long it rusted though. it was disgusting.

point being, even on bigger way more complicated 4 stroke carbs.. it works.

just put the solution back in the can when done to avoid smell. take out any diaphrams and hand clean those.

:twocents:

RustyRD

Thanks for the additional info, I have used gunk in the past for carbs in automotive application, however without the wd40. I will try this brew out for the VTR carbs. :clap:

m in sc

nothing too exciting, but did a bit of cleanup. the seat foam had turned to dust, so had to get that cleaned out.  also the tank was pretty rusty inside,/ have a petcock rebuild kit coming from john at economy, and a complete throttle cable assembly.  In the meantime, soaked the inside of the tank with some 'metal rescue' and water for about 4 days. came out really well, especially considering what it looked like.  I'll probably hit it again to get the stuff off the spine. But for now, its pretty good.

this has mineral spirits in it now neutralizing.

now starts 2nd kick cold.

RustyRD

I like the auxiliary fuel setup, carbs look great in place. Fuel tank is making a nice recovery.

Djg8493

Quote from: m in sc on December 08, 2020, 02:25:46 PM
nothing too exciting, but did a bit of cleanup. the seat foam had turned to dust, so had to get that cleaned out.  also the tank was pretty rusty inside,/ have a petcock rebuild kit coming from john at economy, and a complete throttle cable assembly.  In the meantime, soaked the inside of the tank with some 'metal rescue' and water for about 4 days. came out really well, especially considering what it looked like.  I'll probably hit it again to get the stuff off the spine. But for now, its pretty good.

Does the mineral spirits stop it from flash rusting again?  If so will that hold for a while if you are not ready to fill it back with gas? 
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

SoCal250

Quote from: m in sc on December 08, 2020, 02:25:46 PM
In the meantime, soaked the inside of the tank with some 'metal rescue' and water for about 4 days. came out really well, especially considering what it looked like.  I'll probably hit it again to get the stuff off the spine. But for now, its pretty good.

Is Metal Rescue a better option than Evapo-Rust in this situation? Not really up on all the rust treatment solutions and preferences.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Djg8493

I'll give a comparison in a few days, I am doing a similar condition tank with Evaporust now.
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

m in sc

ive used both. about the same, i think evaporust is a -tad- stronger but i could be wrong. end result is the same .   :twocents:

Djg8493

About 8 hours in and so far the Evaporust looks to be working well.  you can see the line in the gas cap where I had it laying on.  I have also heard that it can be damaging to Aluminum if left on too long.

m in sc

so small update. tanks clean, got rebuild kit from john at economy and good to go.

also, swapped out coils. for moment, relatively stock, ie, points. so, until i change to something else, i figured id try a trick i learned at the gap this year. SV650 replacement coils are 3 ohm and DIRT cheap on ebay.  so, figured id try a set on here.

had to make sub harness for spade to bullet, but did that and good to go.  bolted in to back spot, used spacer and works perfect.

also, had the typical progressive style shocks. But i always hated the stupid halc shrouds on them, so took them off.  much better i think

waiting on clutch and gaskets, will swap out rd cover for proper r5 one on clutch side.  soon. also have some new cables from economy coming soon.

Need to get the gauge mounting situation sorted out as well. just don't like it. got the beverly shear and some aluminum, going to fab up a new mount rd trees/r5 gauges.

did get a new 13mm master on it i had laying around much better feel.

not the most exciting project but getting the baseline sorted. 

m in sc

chambers on, gauges remounted (no pics yet) and 1st testride done. first time its moved under its own power in 6 yrs, min.