Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Worlds Fastest Yamaha RD250

Started by EE, January 31, 2021, 01:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EE

I just retired bike 254 The Worlds Fastest Yamaha RD250 143.767mph unfaired on gas. My good friend Wayne Welch (waynewelchphotography on instagram) Did a cool collage and video of the time he spent out there with me. I know many of you never got to see the bike run so here it is! I couldn't have been happier with the bike and what a kick to ride!!! Ed

https://youtu.be/IGKET-7y-Pc

Hawaii-Mike

I love the sound, the motor sounds perfectly tuned.

Nkreig

EE

Wayne left in "Real racing moments" too LOL!! On the first run you see, it was the first race for 2020 everyone was rusty from not riding, the bike wouldn't start i'd left my kill switch off! i find it, take off a little harder than usual, the back end squirrels just a little bit and hooks up as you see one of the line workers comment on.. but what they didn't see was it lifted the front wheel as it came on the pipe too!! The second run the bike died on the shift into second well i'm flyin along already with plenty of momentum so i say shit let's see what happens, i drop it back down a gear and pop the clutch and everythings good so i rip it back up it was just an ignition kill adjustment. Third run sounds great!! That's how she sounded most the time that bike was just a sweetheart what a blast to ride. I've said it before but you tune it to be making max horsepower and  temp right as you cross the line and then kill the engine just as you cross the line so you don't melt her down but it was always hard to tell which was more fun the ride down the course or coasting at 143+ no sound all speed after the mad rush down the course. ALOT, An INSANE amount of work and hours spent into the night but alot of fun! I do love that bike and the ride down the track!! Ed

Gill

:metal: :metal:  :toot: :toot: :righteous: Blazing ED! That's phenomenal.Your work is top notch!

SoCal250

Always impressive Ed! Cool video.  :whoop:
Why did you decide to retire it? Maxed out and nothing left to improve?
What's next?
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Organicjedi

pdxjim

Sounds fantastic Ed!

So stoked to have your porting in my LC  :metal:
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Czakky

Thanks for sharing. You do amazing work! And that glorious sound :drool:.

EE

Thanks guys! I know i love the sound.. your ears don't know whether to sing or bleed lol!!
Hey Russ! A couple of reasons. I'd put a 5 year limit on the bike anyway and it did great, It ran another 143 the last weekend it raced in 2020. The usual reasons time and money Lol!  I've had a bumpy but great life but never made a ton of money. Not everyone knows but I've always held an 8-5 as an auto mechanic and then done all the two-stroke work as an "after hours shop" out of what is now but sure wasn't always a large garage. My approach to racing has always been hard work and good science. TT taught me be ready to spend when you have to thought!! he'd say "Step up to the plate or go home!" lol but 90% of my racing has been hard work on a shoestring and you just do everything yourself! I know I could have gotten 145 out of her with some more things I'd wanted to do. Just running out of time and money and she did SO well, i mean one flippin 43 out of an RD250!!
No to those that will ask I never intended to put a fairing on her  I just so much more enjoy running unfaired and if your going to spend that much time and money doing something you mine as well enjoy it!
What most don't realize is the difference between going fast and being the fastest in time and money is substantial. But I had a blast!!
If and it's a massive if, I found an affordable 79-80 TZ250 f-G frame I'd consider building an early TZ LSR bike but that's a massive if.. I have collected enough parts to put a TZ250G together to maybe have some fun road racing (nothing serious) but can't/won't modify that frame for LSR so that's a project. And Ed Miller wants me to ride his RD400 drag bike so that should be fun, Take my grandson out dirt bike riding more often (Two Strokes of course!!!) , I also have an LC project I'd like to put together, riding my road bike (Bicycle) up to 30 miles now. so I've got plenty to do! Ed

TNWillie

Congratulations on all that you have accomplished and best of luck achieving your latest goals.
Incredible!!

stresa

81 Jackson Special 250, 2x 74 Yamaha RD250 racer + 1 street racer, 78 Yamaha RD400, 72 R5/RD350, 74 RD250 dirttracker street, 75 Yapol TZ250, 89 Honda RS125,
80 Hejira TM250, RD375/3, 77 Höpfner-TD3, 76 RD/TD3,
74 Yamaha TZ/RD250A, 78 Siroko TZ250, 75 Bakker TZ350B, Tomic 200, Waddon Rotax125

Arrow

Fantastic achievement and story.
Well done.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

racerclam

that was a great run , sounds great . I especially liked the prayer in the beginning and the music. I love when believers do great things . We should talk sometime .

Rich (Richs Taylord Porting ) 702-858-9177

JR

Hey Ed, Great Job on the 250!
I was wondering of you are interested in building a dirt drag engine for me?
If so, please let me know and I will fill you in on the details.
Joe