Narcolepsy

Started by Inov8, February 04, 2021, 01:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inov8

Thanks Mark. That Jack Nicholson GIF may cause me to have bad dreams.  :eek:
I'll just shut up now and go back my Crayons and coloring book

Dvsrd

Quote from: Inov8 on February 07, 2021, 08:41:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I put flat slides on a 400 I had, and liked them a lot. They definitely improved driveability and throttle response; especially at lower RPMs. Based on many hours of reading, there seems to be a consensus that the Mikuni VM's with UFO's and divider plates can perform as well as flat slides. I'll admit, I'm a bit skeptical; but I'm willing to try. I do realize that trying to reduce weight while keeping the stock look is going to be a challenge and the reason I listed it as a long term goal. Fortunately, access to, and relative affordability of, super lightweight materials has never been better. We'll see how it goes.
There are a lot of parts where significant weight reduction can be found. Replace front caliper with a repop alloy caliper from EC. Replace the stock master cylinder with a 12 or 13 mm one. I used Brembo. A new MC with integratedbrake light switch, and a single brake line that allows you to remove the oem brake light switch all amounts to one pound, the caliper close to one more. A fiberglass front fender saves several pounds, thinning and drilling the brake disc also helps. Alloy spacers between wheel bearings, and on the RH side on both wheels also help. Stock footpegs and rear brake linkage weighs a ton. Using a later Kickstarter will allow the use of non-folding rearsets. This really simplifies things. I converted my rear brake to cable actuation, somewhat like early TZs. Light and simple. An aluminium handlebar shaves some weight, a Powerdynamo/ VAPE saves a lot of weight, LiPoFe batteries, or a small AGM battery likewise. A single bar end mirror also removes near a pound of weight, compared to oem. I guess a Vitos crankshaft is significantly lighter than oem, due to the flywheel design. If you want to run pre-mix, you could take a mould from the oil tank, and make a much lighter fiberglass side cover to replace it. The OEM battery box and air filter box is also something that can be removed, and replaced with something   more minimalistic, Like an Y-boot +K&N and an alloy battery box.
EC or HJC also have a H4 headlight that fits the stock bucket, with a plastic lens instead of glass. Also lighter.
Repop seats from Yambits have plastic bases, and are a lot lighter than one seats with steel base and older type, heavy foam.
Altogether, a stock framed RD should be possible to lighten down towards 280-290 lbs with a full tank,  and still look fairly stock.

747drvr

also aluminum rims and a 520 chain and sprockets. all are rotating mass :like: :like:

Dvsrd

Quote from: 747drvr on June 10, 2021, 10:30:27 AM
also aluminum rims and a 520 chain and sprockets. all are rotating mass :like: :like:
Shit, I forgot that. And my RD350 has just that, shouldered Akront rims and 520 chain, with alloy rear sprocket 😁
I even "wasted" some $$ on TI fasteners here and there.......