Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

$4.00 Fork Seal Puller

Started by Striker1423, February 14, 2021, 01:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

After racking my brain over what tool to buy to pull the fork seals. I immediately thought of a slide hammer puller, but why spend the money?

A 3/8" x 8" carriage bolt, a 5/8" washer that just fits the inside lip of the seal, a 3/8" washer and a regular nut. Grind the larger washer sides to fit it inside the fork tube and past the lip of the seal.  Provide your own 1/2" impact socket of choice and pull the seal in 10 seconds without the muss and fuss.  Courtesy of a small YouTube channel.  Works a treat.

Greaser Greg

Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

zedixe13

I use a comparable set up to pull the front swing arm bearings on my RZ350 and 500

pidjones

I made up a puller by Randakk's instructions to pull the seals from G1000 forks. Used two Unistrut angles ground to fit. Still requires heating with a propane torch until they are smoking.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

TNWillie

I had high hopes that this design would work for pulling the fork seals on my '74 GT750 but it didn't. :(  The diameter of the fork leg isn't large enough to get the washer in there to pull. And, if I was able to get it in there, there isn't enough room between the underside of the seal and the shoulder inside the leg. I'm bummed but hoping that a bearing puller available for borrowing at the local auto parts place will work.

IR8D8R

I used to rebuild a lot of rear ends so I bought a slide hammer that included a seal puller tip. Never used it. I always used the end of the axle to pry out the seal as I slid it out. I know for sure you shouldn't use the hooked style seal cutter on aluminum because it will dig in and gouge.

If you heat up and bend the tip of an old big long standard screwdriver into a hook you can use a big impact socket as the slider. The screwdriver needs to be a type with a well bonded handle. The angle of the tip should be slightly acute. tiny bit under 90 degrees.

IR8D8R

85RZwade

Like an old Irwin, maybe?

I have a couple of these, and they're indestructible
I post waayyy too much

pidjones

Randakk's blog has a cheap idea for a puller that gets a great grip, but must be custom-ground to fit your forks. I did make a set for GL1000 forks, and they work pretty well (when I can find them). I might adapt them to a slide hammer. Last rebuild, I couldn't find them and used the standard automotive hook puller plus a LOT of heat from a propane torch.
https://www.randakksblog.com/removing-gl1000-front-fork-seals/
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

sixthwisconsin

I just broke down and bought the 16 pc extractor kit on eBay. It has a slide hammer and expanding collets that range from 6mm to 59mm. I don't have it yet but hope it is my final solution for pulling fork seals from any bike.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-piece-Orion-Motor-Tech-Slide-Hammer-Bearing-Extractor-Remover-Tool-kit-W-Case/284039245347?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648
1973 RD350
1974 CB550 Modified
1974 CB550 Stockish
1975 CB750 Modified
2009 Kawasaki Concourse (sold)

Striker1423

Quote from: sixthwisconsin on April 15, 2021, 10:26:05 AM
I just broke down and bought the 16 pc extractor kit on eBay. It has a slide hammer and expanding collets that range from 6mm to 59mm. I don't have it yet but hope it is my final solution for pulling fork seals from any bike.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-piece-Orion-Motor-Tech-Slide-Hammer-Bearing-Extractor-Remover-Tool-kit-W-Case/284039245347?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

I've read to be gentle with the ebay versions. They are prone to being weaker steel.