Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Daytona brake caliper pistons

Started by Daytona1, May 19, 2021, 09:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona1

I need to replace the pistons in the calipers. I see they make aluminum ones for 350's but none for the Daytona's . I have access to a lathe and am looking at making some. Anyone done this? Any tips on type of aluminum and should they be anodized?

dugsgms

I may be wrong but I thought brake pistons were ground to the final finish/dimension.
1970 BSA Lightning
1975 Yamaha RD350
1975 Honda CB400f
2008 Yamaha WR250R

Daytona1

Hell maybe they are ground to size. I have no idea. I guess there might be more to it than I thought. Any ideas guys?Not a big fan of these pivot calipers always had sliding calipers on old bikes I've had. Wish there was an easy way to convert over but haven't found any. So I'm stuck with these and thought I would at least lighten them up a bit.

Biz

Front brakes or rear?  I have an FZR front caliper with simple adaptor plate on my Daytona.  Common upgrade.  Uses stock master cylinder and rotor, huge difference.  Not sure about rear brake upgrades but I rarely use it.  HVC Cycle makes reproduction replacement pistons.

Dave

Dvsrd

Quote from: dugsgms on May 19, 2021, 09:40:58 PM
I may be wrong but I thought brake pistons were ground to the final finish/dimension.
That is most likely correct for oem hard Chrome coated steel pistons.
I made a pair of SS pistons for my RD 350, and just a little hand sanding after the final lathe cut was sufficient.

RDRoy

HVCcycle sells brake caliper pistons for RD400F.