Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

New oil topic - Air Filter Oil!

Started by IR8D8R, June 09, 2021, 01:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IR8D8R

I just got some Uni foam filters. Been using Y-Boot with a K&N filter that doesn't really fit my RD 350. Uni included a warning about "severe engine damage" if not oiled but no suggestions on what oil. Obviously they want you to buy theirs. K&N usually includes some.

I know that I have to oil the filters but what can you use other than the Uni filter oil? I have used plain motor oil in the past per OEM instructions. I was perusing various forums and the topic was rather hotly debated. It was fairly well agreed that K&N oil was not OK for foam. Belray has some. There's something called No-Toil (that's widely out of stock it seems), Maxima, Klotz, and Lucas. Some people (several) said to just use 2-stroke oil ostensibly because it will be harmless if ingested by the engine... Others said 'any' foam filter oil. Some disagreed. You know how it goes...

Don't really feel like buying Uni's secret oil unless it happens to be available at a local auto parts or cycle store or it is agreed by all to be A#1. Their filter service kit is ~$25 for oil and cleaner. I don't want a dirt bike product designed to be washed out and reapplied every outing. I got the feeling that No Toil was more like that. It is water soluble and "plant based" so it can be cleaned with hot water. They also have a classic oil product with an associated cleaner.

Recommendations?

IR8D8R

m in sc

i dont oil them. enough spits back from the reeds to do the job in my experience.   :twocents:  keep in mind, they are a 'dirt bike' air filter company primarily.

85RZwade

And from a dirt biker perspective, I like Bel-Ray, dislike No-Toil and would use any other foam filter oil. It's thick and sticky. I have a foam filter on a Y-boot on my RZ, always oiled it per dirt bike experience and it works well. BUT, having said all that, Mark knows his stuff and it's entirely possible my RZ wishes I'd quit oiling it's filter.
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

nothing wrong with oiling it. just not my preference, never had an issue on a street bike that was debris related (unless it was originally part of a piston. DOH!)

in all seriousness, i -have- wiped them down lightly with whatever 2 stroke oil im going to run in it, since it will be coated with it internally eventually.

Striker1423

I lightly mist the K&N filter spray  (red sticky stuff) onto them.

2steve

I run longer Uni pods attached to the RD400 stock intake tubes. Chuck recommended using that some time ago.
Didn't oil with Uni oil at first but they had the red outer covers on.
Finally got Uni oil and took the red covers off for good. Oiled according to instructions and had to jet it up :eek: The 400 doesn't cough up oil through the carbs and up the intake tubes so it might be a little different than a 350. Running Chuck's Barlow crossover too.

Having experienced this, I recommend black Uni's with no red socks and using their oil - even though it's kinda ridiculous on price. Runs sweet.

m in sc

FYI.. the red outers being removed are why you had to jet up.

:twocents:

paul1478

Chuck told me exactly what Mark said. Don't bother. Same reason.
I do need to clean the ones I have after 2 years I think.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

EE

I like the K&N cleaner though i've used soap and water plenty, but prefer the uni oil, just lightly, rub it around to make sure its not excessive and then wipe the excess off my hands, super light coat, why not, i figure why rebuild any sooner than i have too.. For racing i don't oil the filters.

IR8D8R

Honestly on a 2 stroke street bike I am more concerned with accidentally sucking up larger objects than dust and road dirt. Top end rebuild is inevitable anyway. I've seen bikes carrying Uni's that were literally dripping oil from the filters and that surprised me. My *thought* was that they were picking up back splatter.  I really hadn't considered oiling them like a K&N. My lawnmower yeah but not like that. A few drops and squeeze the excess out with a rag. Not sloppy wet.

I'm using BelRay in the gearbox and gas. If I do anything it will probably be that. I didn't get a good feeling about No-Toil. Their premium product looks like tire slime or car wax. These Unis will flow better dry and like Mark said pick up oil from reversion. Odds are that I will melt the top end doing something else anyway. Next.

You may think it's wrong but I put my Infiniti G35 Coupe K&N in the dishwasher. I used to wash it in the sink but that was fuc*ing filthy. The DW gets it sparkling clean.

IR8D8R

~JM~

Used clean 30wt. motor oil when I was broke.

I use Maxima now.

I do not use anything K&N.

pdxjim

I use No-Toil filters and oil on the KTM 300, dry UNI foam filters on the LC and a dry UNI foam element in the TDR airbox.

I like the No-Toil because you can clean the filters with laundry soap instead of solvent.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

1976RD400C

I never oiled mine but when I take them off my hands get oily from the pre-mixed gas.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

quocle603

I've used 2 stroke oil the past. I've been using the K&N rebuilt/recharge kit to clean and oil my filters now.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

Jspooner

I don't oil mine either. They are always saturated with oil slime when I remove them.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"