Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

CDI for Vape system

Started by rodneya, August 15, 2021, 03:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodneya

Anybody know if a Dynatek programmable CDI will work with a vape ignition?

m in sc

probably. a zeeltronic does. just a delay box

Economy Cycle John

The cdi is in the coil pack on the Vape, not sure how you'd get around it. The Zeel we sell for the Vape (VCDI-04) is an ignition controller no CDI.
www.EconomyCycle.com - RD/RZ Parts, Services, Tools, Accessories & Swag

rodneya

Quote from: Economy Cycle on August 15, 2021, 05:46:07 PM
The cdi is in the coil pack on the Vape, not sure how you'd get around it. The Zeel we sell for the Vape (VCDI-04) is an ignition controller no CDI.

For a Banshee / RZ system you need a CDI to work with it. Zeeltronic Z-PDCI-11 or Z-PDCI-11VT  recommended, but I already have a Dynateck programmable CDI, so Im trying to see if it is compatible.

Economy Cycle John

who's recommending the Vape with pdci-11 or vt? you would have 2 cdi's, how's that gonna work? you can't remove the Vape cdi as it's inside the coil pack. it'd be easier to go with the stock rz ign and your Dynatek. 

rodneya

Quote from: Economy Cycle on August 15, 2021, 11:32:19 PM
who's recommending the Vape with pdci-11 or vt? you would have 2 cdi's, how's that gonna work? you can't remove the Vape cdi as it's inside the coil pack. it'd be easier to go with the stock rz ign and your Dynatek.

Fast From The Past is the only place I can find that stocks it and they have the zeel options for power valve or non power valve CDi's, but vape mentions a zeel or Ignitech CDI. 711349900 is the vape part number.
The Vape RZ system uses stock or similar coils instead of the vape coil pack. It is basically just an alternator with a trigger.
RZ stators are NLA and used units are crazy expensive and 35 years old. I just fried a banshee stater that was floated for DC  that may have been over 30 years old and am looking at alternate options to a new, very expensive banshee stater that I have to hack up as soon as I get it to float the ground

Economy Cycle John

I think that would work as long as your dynatek is like the pdci11 or 11vt and doesn't need a source coil.

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

rodneya

Aftermarket stators seem to have a very poor track record. I have never researched RZ ones, but for banshees and YZ250's it was go oem or you would be pushing back to your truck.
The Vape at least has a fairly good track record of reliability.

m in sc

floating the ground isnt in itself going to overwork anything, usually if a stator fries on the charging system its a broken wire or a reg/rectifier issue.  id look into the ricks  unit. I had to get one for the grom w the 250 suzuki motor, its been doing well, but they aren't cheap.  However, you could use a vape and a stock style coil i would imagine w the dynatek. 

rodneya

Spoke to the guy from Fast From The past. Looks like the CDI needed for the RZ vape system need to get power from the battery and not from the stator like a stock CDI or the Dynatek.
Jim is a Really nice guy and very helpful.

Anyway, parts ordered and now we wait for them to make their slow winding way to the great white north. Then we will see if the lighter flywheel makes a difference. Ill just have to sell some of the parts I will be switching out to cover the difference in cost from just replacing my current stator.
Oh, and learn how to install program a zeel.