Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Top end knock

Started by Joshua, March 13, 2022, 08:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua

I had a reputable guy build my motor a while ago. Finally got it legal and took it for a longer ride and when I got back home I noticed some top end knocking. I maybe have 3-4 tanks of gas run through it, so not that many miles on the bike yet. I did have the timing slip, so I reset the timing on it.  Just looking for feedback on where to start. It's super disappointing as I haven't even got to enjoy the bike and I'm afraid I'm already troubleshooting problems. My builder has not gotten back to me, so I think he may be MIA. Thanks for any feedback you guys could give me.

https://youtube.com/shorts/APU7rufTpWY?feature=share

Arrow

What ratio premix are you using?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Joshua

16oz to 5 gallons of gas, 40:1.

Arrow

Ok. That should be alright as long as there is very little full throttle use. The pump kicks out about 20:1 after the 3/4 throttle position.

Sounds like a partial seizure to me. Could have been an air leak too...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

rodneya

If you are sure the noise is from the top end, I would do a leakdown test first to check for leaks. Check what the plugs look like and then pull the head and take a look inside.

m in sc

almost sounds like a small end bearing, but could be a partially collapsed skirt.. id pull the cyls & see whats up.  :twocents:

quocle603

Clean build. I would inspect everything. When he built your engine, was it both the top and bottom end? What did he replace?
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

Joshua

Thanks guys. You all know my builder, just don't want to throw him under the bus for something that happens on a crappy day. He built it from the ground up so every piece was touched, replaced, ported, upgraded, new. I know he has been MIA, but he typically would get back to me if I called or texted him, hoping he is alright.

soonerbillz

Make sure you check squish clearance. Could be as simple as a wrong thickness head gasket.

Washerman

Piston slap maybe pull the pipes and take a quick look inside there.

1976RD400C

Agree with the others and lift the cylinders off, then post some pictures if you need help figuring out what's up.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Striker1423

Sounds like what mine did when it ran on little oil. Pull heads and look.

Joshua

Thanks all. I'll pull them in the next few weeks and update. Appreciate this community, wouldn't have gotten the bike done without everyone here.

pidjones

Wow. Riding season starting up in Florida. Just use a large portion of patience and get it right before setting yourself back for the summer.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

rodneya

Quote from: Joshua on March 15, 2022, 12:03:56 PM
Thanks all. I'll pull them in the next few weeks and update. Appreciate this community, wouldn't have gotten the bike done without everyone here.

Wow, you have a lot of patience. I would have had my motor apart within minutes of getting it home. I would just have to know what went wrong or it would bug the s**t outa me.