This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

AHRMA Production Class RD350 Racer

Started by rlloydm, March 15, 2022, 11:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlloydm

Hey Y'all,

I was active on the old forum and am going to try and be more active on the new one. So glad that this resource is still with us!

Thought I'd start a thread to show off my production race bike & maybe document my ongoing adventures with it. Any other vintage racers on the board?

This bike is a mongrel made from a couple of different 350s and built to suit AHRMA's Novice Historic Production Heavyweight rules. I am in my 3rd racing season now and have been running pretty strong recently (3 win across the past 2 race weekends). Big changes to the bike are stripping all the street equipment off(of course), Progressive shocks, emulators in the forks, a Vape total-loss racing ignition, y-boot & K&N filter combo. Before my next race in June I'll be swapping in a 400 motor, changing the front brake setup to a Lockheed + Brembo MC combo, fitting Swarbrick expansion chambers, and doing some other various spiffying up and tidying.

As of today, the plan is to run 2-3 more races this season and then build her up into a full GP replica to run in the Formula 500 class in 2023. I'm fortunate enough to live just down the road from Mark Morrow, so I'll have his mentorship and guidance as I leave the novice class and start racing with the big boys.

A couple of race videos:

As I brought her home from Nashville back in 2017

Racing in the hurricane at Barber a couple of years ago

As she sits today

My first aluminum welding project - finally ditched the roasting pan held to the frame with hose clamps

1976RD400C

Very cool. I raced a RD when they weren't called vintage. Can you port the cylinders while running a production class? I'm sure you see how Mark's bike really goes in the upper rpm's. That makes a big difference. The motor really turns on at 8000. I found going to riding school or track day that has instructors helps with learning the tricks to cutting down the lap times. Good luck, I wish I could still race but I got old.  :affirmation:
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350