This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Timing Drift

Started by Pravin, March 23, 2022, 06:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pravin

Hello Experts !!

I have converted my RD350 to points ignition and am happy I did .... I enjoy the character the bike has now with points : )

One issue as I think all have is setting up the timing ..

My issue is every time is set timing to 2~2.1 mm BTDC  after say 20 ~30 km only the timing drifts back to 1.7mm BTDC. Points are NEW and Cam is in excellent condition, all the screws are hand tight at wrist torque..

Now is this normal ? has anybody actually checked the timing after 20 km ? just for the sake of it ? am curious to understand the reason for  this timing getting retard so quickly. Though she still gives a back kick as you Switch ON power to the coils ..and starts n rides okay  but its kind of annoying to have the timing at 1.7mm BTDC

Regards,
Pravin Dalvi

Striker1423

are you positive you set the timing at the center of the highest point on the cam? and double-checked the points gap?

m in sc

^ this. and use a timing light.

the heel pads might be settling in, as they wear the timing will be more retarded.. mine stay consistent on the few bikes i do have have with points, but always check them after 50 miles or so after new to make sure they settled in ok. Usually they are fine, but new ones , brand new ones, might need a tweak once or 2x early on.   :twocents:

Pravin

Quote from: Striker1423 on March 23, 2022, 10:26:42 AM
are you positive you set the timing at the center of the highest point on the cam? and double-checked the points gap?

The points open at the beginning of the highest spot hump  and thats where i have set my timing..

m in sc

gap needs to be set at max height, not the beginning of the cam lobe. you do this visually, its easy if you look closely.

Pravin

Yes gap is set to .38mm at the highest point ..

Timing is set when the point opens ...set to 2.1mm btdc