Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Pointer: A forgotten Japanese Marque

Started by Rizingson, April 03, 2022, 06:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizingson

Just like the American and European motorcycle manufactures, Japan had many companies that didn't survive in the post war motorcycle industry, but a few of them came close. Manufacturers such as Yamaguchi, Tohatsu, Marusho and Pointer lasted into the early 60's before collapsing due to various economic reasons. Kawanishi Naval Aircraft Corporation started producing Pointer motorcycles in 1946 and by 1962 or '63 had stopped manufacturing motorcycles but still continued with other products under several different name changes. The last Pointers were built by Shin Meiwa Industry Co., Ltd., of Osaka Japan. It was one of Japan's leading aviation firms.
While most of my collection is focused on the "Big Four" Japanese bikes that were commonly purchased during the '60s to early '70s, I am fascinated by the rarely seen or heard of models that also came out of Japan during that era. Pointer had several models that were advertised in nearly all the cycle magazines from about '61 to early '64. The Super Lassie and a larger Comet model were the most heavily promoted. From the research I've done, I believe the factory quite producing motorcycles by late '62 or early '63, and any bikes sold after that time were just closeouts. This Super Lassie is titled as a '64 so it was probably one of the very last Pointers sold in the US. Now it has finally found a home in my "Rizingson Collection", where it will be occasionally ridden, shown and preserved as is. If anything breaks on it, it will become an instant boat anchor as there are absolutely no parts available that I am aware of at this time. Only one other and possibly a 3rd exist in the USA, and one I've found in Canada. If anyone knows of one hidden away please speak up!

The Pointer Super Lassie was a sleek, mostly cream colored, 90cc two stroke motorcycle imported into Cleveland, Ohio, from Japan, beginning in 1962. The 89cc 2-stroke engine put out 7 hp and could reach the advertised top speed of 60 mph, which was verified by a road test in Cycle World (April 1963). Mine will need some fine tuning to perform that well, as it feels a little boggy now. I understand that the luggage rack may not have been a factory option, but seems to fit the bike well without detracting from the styling.

A few people have suggested that the styling is taken from Honda's C110, due to the upswept pipe, full chain guards and horizontal engine. Also the plastic front fender with rubber mud flap. The leading link suspension looks similar to other Japanese brands, but is said to be a torsion type designed by Neidhalt. The dual rear view mirrors were standard equipment, unlike Honda.

The speedometer is showing only 442 miles, but it is hard to say if it is correct, however the Mecum ad says it is believed to be correct. Within the speedometer is the neutral light and charging light. The Super Lassie is also equipped with turn signals; fortunately these are in good working order, as are all the electrics, such as headlight, starter, tail lights and horn

One particularly interesting feature is the fuel tank.  A new type of construction incorporates the fuel tank as an integral part of the frame structure, allowing a greater fuel capacity (2.4 Gal). Here you can see how the fuel tank is part of the frame. The 3 position ignition switch is located in the left side of the headlight bucket.

busa1300

Looks beautiful, even if it becomes a boat anchor  :thumbs:
RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

m in sc