Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Have you ever seen this before?

Started by Milan, June 13, 2022, 06:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milan

These pipes came off the 350 I am working on.
The one in another post that is only running in 1 cylinder.

Do you think, while the PO was riding, if the 1 cylinder stopped firing, would this have caused this blowout?

Ws76133

I'd think it could if the spark returned after the silencer and chamber filled with unburned fuel.  When I was in high school, admittedly years ago, I'd switch the ignition off on my car while rolling down the road; turning it back on gave a loud backfire.  One of those opened the muffler along the weld seam.

msr

To this day, my 50+ year old brother will do this on any carbureted bike he owns.

Striker1423

Quote from: msr on June 14, 2022, 09:50:33 AM
To this day, my 50+ year old brother will do this on any carbureted bike he owns.

:lol:

m in sc

RDFL

Wonder if he filled his pants when it blew.

rodneya

I cant see that blowing up being the cause of that. It would have ballooned out a bit at least. There is also other damage on the tube a bit closer to the stinger.
Ive had really bad backfires pop the pipe off at the cylinder flange as that's probably the easiest spot to release pressure.

m in sc

agreed. that wasnt a backfire issue IMHO either, but i bet theres a good story there. My guess would be a crack in the aluminum that wasn't caught in time and eventually got completely out of hand. 

teazer

^^^^

What he said.

That's not an explosion type failure.  If you look at the ragged edge you will probably see dirty parts where it was cracked for a long time and siny parts where the two parts fretted against each other. It does look like a fatigue crack.