Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Vape

Started by JB Weld, June 27, 2022, 10:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

^ hadnt thought of that to be honest, but you're right.  for example, to add a digital controller you need to move the rotor for mechanical ability to run at full advance.

rodneya

I bought a vape and Zeel box from Fast From The Past to run on my banshee RZ frankenmotor. When I spoke to the owner the first thing he asked is if I was comfortable installing without a keyway. Pretty sure he would not have sold it to me if I had not seemed confident.
Seems like a lot of people botch the install and then call wanting refunds or badmouth the product

rodneya

Quote from: 2t Fan on June 30, 2022, 02:43:20 PM
cutting a keyway makes ignition adjustments impossible and void your warranty i was told. EC provided hardware can prevent it from turning

You can still remove the woodruff key and adjust timing to whatever you need.

m in sc

true as well. but you're right, most of the issue is from people botching the install.  you need (should)  to use a small impact to get it tight or you are playing with fire IMHO.

thick washer
clean taper
small impact
and IMHO preheat the rotor so it shrinks down onto the taper.  (think i leanred that from lyn). point to note.., tz ignitions didnt have keyways either.  :twocents:

Flyer

btw. has anyone experience with the VAPE with variable ignition timing?
This could be a good alternative to the Zeeltronic box without an extra programming box.  :umm:

https://www.vape.eu/en/yamaha-rd350400-pre-ignition-screw

Regards Mark

rodneya

Quote from: Flyer on July 01, 2022, 02:41:18 AM
btw. has anyone experience with the VAPE with variable ignition timing?
This could be a good alternative to the Zeeltronic box without an extra programming box.  :umm:

https://www.vape.eu/en/yamaha-rd350400-pre-ignition-screw

Regards Mark

I had one of those on my RD350 motor when they first came out. I never had any problems, but I think that Economy stopped selling them because there were some issues. Cant remember what.
I switched out my motor for watercooled with a vape and Zeel after about a year.

JB Weld

Going with Economy. They are my favorite vendor to deal with always. Always working to keep customers happy! Thanks for the input everyone!!!! :metal:

busa1300

I see where vape has an advance box available. Can this be adapted to any Vape? I have one for my TM400 motor, but have no idea if it has some built in curve to it, or if will need to get the advancing box for more curve options.
I have been using Zeel ignitions for years now, has anyone successfully used a Zeel advance adjuster with a Vape?
RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

m in sc

yes you can use a vcdi-04 with a vape, I run 2 like that, both rd motors but will work on a single as well. be aware it needs a battery running it like that

busa1300

Thanks for that  :thumbs:
Does the Zeel basically just go in between the coils and the vape?
My Vape does not show what if any type of curve the ignition I bought has (TM400)... which make me wonder how a curve of any kind can come from the vape without some kind of box in between to create one?
RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

m in sc

it does go in between. in a nutshell, its a delay box at certain points, hence why you have to set the rotor to the max advance you want to run. also usually requires a battery to fire off. (the box)

Striker1423

Would you recommend the vape unit Mark? I'm curious how much it helps.

m in sc

Quote from: Striker1423 on January 19, 2024, 12:42:08 PMWould you recommend the vape unit Mark? I'm curious how much it helps.
i really have nothing bad to say about them.

teazer

I just had a Vape system delivered for a GT500 to replace the PEI.  It looks slightly different to the pictures on the web site but beautifully made.  The invoice and shipping docs confirm that it's the PEI replacement and not points replacement, so I fitted the stator and wired it all up with only a few small changes to the wiring that was supplied.

When I fitted the rotor, it didn't look right.  The rotor is too far out or the stator is too far recessed, so I took a deeper dive and looks like the wrong unit was shipped. I had hoped to finish the install this weekend, so now I have options.  Get the unit returned to VApe in Europe, or get an adapter plate machined to space the stator out by about 8mm.

Anyone run into similar problems with a T500 or GT500 Vape system?

m in sc

no, they shipped you the wrong one for sure. This is Joes bike, right?