Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Vape

Started by JB Weld, June 27, 2022, 10:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB Weld

Looking at installing a Vape in my RD350. Any reason to stick to a certain vendor over another when purchasing or do I get the same instructions, support, etc no matter where it's purchased?

Thanks!

jradnich

I bought mine direct from HPI a few years ago when Vape was sold as HPI ignition.  The prices were very good. It looks like they still sell Vape products and the prices are still good.

rodneya

Vape does not have a keyway. If you are not comfortable installing without a keyway as reference you can buy one from HVC and pay a bit extra to have a keyway machined in. Otherwise that are all the same.

m in sc

as an fyi, a keyway is just for locating on these. john does include (i think standard) the heavier duty washer and bolt, the 'stock' vape one is an issue, too weak and you cant get it tightened down enough to bite.

I currently run 3 of these systems, never needed  a keyway on any of them.

stresa

@jradnich
I think you mis-match something. Vape(czech company) and HPI(belgian company) are very different companies and Vape were never sold as HPI ignitions. Vape is the same like the former Powerdynamo(german company) ignitions. Vape was the producer of the electronic components of the Powerdynamo ones. Powerdynamo itself "only" machined the mounting hardware and confectionated the ignitions for the various models. As they closed and moved into other business fields Vape took over the whole process.
Regards Uwe
81 Jackson Special 250, 2x 74 Yamaha RD250 racer + 1 street racer, 78 Yamaha RD400, 72 R5/RD350, 74 RD250 dirttracker street, 75 Yapol TZ250, 89 Honda RS125,
80 Hejira TM250, RD375/3, 77 Höpfner-TD3, 76 RD/TD3,
74 Yamaha TZ/RD250A, 78 Siroko TZ250, 75 Bakker TZ350B, Tomic 200, Waddon Rotax125

JB Weld

I was leaning toward Economy this whole time as they have always been good to me. Mark, the bolt kit is another $12, but better than the $24 that HVC charges. HVC is cheaper than Economy on the ignition though and I've found them a little cheaper yet on eBay.

jradnich

Quote from: stresa on June 29, 2022, 04:41:03 PM
@jradnich
I think you mis-match something. Vape(czech company) and HPI(belgian company) are very different companies and Vape were never sold as HPI ignitions. Vape is the same like the former Powerdynamo(german company) ignitions. Vape was the producer of the electronic components of the Powerdynamo ones. Powerdynamo itself "only" machined the mounting hardware and confectionated the ignitions for the various models. As they closed and moved into other business fields Vape took over the whole process.
Regards Uwe
You're 100% correct. I've used both in the past but it was a few years ago. I had a mismatch in my brain.

teazer

I thought that Vape were originally a design and manufacturing company that made parts for others and now sell systems.  I bought Vape pickups for an Ignitech system as an example of that.

HPI look like they use parts from different manufacturers and the stators look like PVL and I have no idea who actually manufactures their stuff including their CDI units.  Do HPI manufacture or do they have people like Vape provide them?

Back in the day Motoplat and Femsa used to manufacture their stuff in house and Yamaha had their CDI components supplied by Hitachi.

We are spoiled with choices at the moment which is nice.

m in sc

hpi does in house or committed/contract mfg... I was talking to them quite a bit when i was getting the one done for the cr85 motor. I know they do the cnc & stator work there.

:twocents:

stresa

@teazer
The reason Motoplat and Femsa built everything in house had simple political reasons. Back then under the Franco regime spanish companies had to pay high customs if they bought goods from outer spain or/and some goods/parts were not allowed to be imported at all. That was to protect the spanish industry.
@m in sc
Yes Mark, but HPI buys most electronical parts from outside. HPI is mainly a 1 man band on top.
Regards Uwe
81 Jackson Special 250, 2x 74 Yamaha RD250 racer + 1 street racer, 78 Yamaha RD400, 72 R5/RD350, 74 RD250 dirttracker street, 75 Yapol TZ250, 89 Honda RS125,
74 Yamaha TZ/RD250A, 78 Siroko TZ250, 75 Bakker TZ350B, Tomic 200, Waddon Rotax125

m in sc

Yes, but committed mfg. I get that.  ie, made exclusively for them. (for now)

rodneya

Whoever you end up buying the Vape from, make sure you take all the screws out and blue locktite everything including the small ones for the pickup.

stresa

Quote from: rodneya on June 30, 2022, 12:29:55 PM
Whoever you end up buying the Vape from, make sure you take all the screws out and blue locktite everything including the small ones for the pickup.
Very good statement. Coming loose screws happened to a friend of mine with his HPI one at a race 3 weeks ago. Luckily RD's and TZ's are common in our paddock so a spare ignition was found quickly. Otherwise his weekend had been over. We more experienced guys had simply forgot to tell him that in front
Regards Uwe

2t Fan

cutting a keyway makes ignition adjustments impossible and void your warranty i was told. EC provided hardware can prevent it from turning