News:

Deals Gap Shenanigans

Deals Gap 2-stroke meet 2024 : May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Kinda rare bird in my pile.

Started by soonerbillz, July 21, 2022, 12:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

I picked this up a while ago.
It came with a box full of parts.
1979 Honda XR185.  They only made this model for one year. In '80 they changed the graphics, color and made it a 200cc.
This bike was used and abused but still worthy of attention.
My wife says I have too many projects.. she may be right but I just can't help myself.  :whistle:

Clem710

First engine I ever opened was an xr250 super siezed from running without oil.  Did the piston, torch required, had to do some cam bearings, cleaned up the cams with an angle grinder.  Ticked like crazy, I assume we set the valves but who knows.

Was a first kicker hot or cold as long as you started at the right position. Smoked like a two stroke but actually didnt burn that much.  Had a bald tire that I ran til I got a flat because the thing was like a tractor going up hills compared to a two stroke.

Was a super good bike for putting around/general woods riding and could be ridden fast but the suspension was questionable at speed.

Its not a two stroke but it should be a good appliance.  It seems most older hondas run forever as long as there is some kind of oil in them.

m in sc

I briefly had an xl175 years ago. ran good but dropped the intake valve, 2x.  :dawg:

when it ran, was really fun though.